From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LIM-MC and stuff (was "Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n082")
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 20:10:08 -0800

At 8:52pm (EST) on 15 Mar 97,
Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I read on the HPLX mailing list that Deskview doesn't work very well on
>the HP200LX, even with 2megs!  I'd say that is weird.   Must be a
>hardware problem (I also heard that the original version of Software
>Carousel doesn't work very well on the HPLX, but of course the HPLX
>specific version does).   All this suggests to me that some of this
>programs work at a very low level with the hardware, so as to make them
>somewhat incompatible with palmtops in general.

To do the power management to get the battery life, I think that most
palmtops add hardware to do part of the power management (I know that the
Poqet certainly did).  This doesn't affect 99% of the software out there,
but programs like DesqView are, as you say, working at a very low level
with the hardware, and they notice the changes.

-- Bryan

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n086 by Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n086
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 13:13:39 -0500 (EST)

I'd guess that DoubleDos would have no problem doubletasking in the Poqet.

Michael Fetterman
d005041c@xxxxxxxx

From: Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 13:16:34 -0500 (EST)

Or the HP200LX (doubletasking with DoubleDos).

For that matter, if one had a large SRAM card as drive B, perhaps it
could be utilized for holding a few |WINDOWS 3.0 applets as well as swap
file for limited multitasking.

But Geoworks better.

Michael Fetterman
d005041c@xxxxxxxx

Re: Hidden Files on the Rom Disk (C:) by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hidden Files on the Rom Disk (C:)
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 19:38:12 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Bryan Mason wrote:
> At 12:02pm (EST) on 6 Mar 97, Alessandro Foi <foi@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I was wondering what are those hidden files on the C: drive of my poqet...
> >if I remember they were SYSMOD.COM... mhhhmm... no, I don't remember the
> >others...
> I just did an "ATTRIB *.*" on drive C: and I don't see any hidden files...
> Am I missing something?
> -- Bryan

The Poqet has Dos 3.30, which did not allow you to see or mess with
hidden or system files.   Not until Dos 5 (or 4 ?) could you mess with
those files with only Dos.  Using LIST, I found the hidden files to be:
DISKCOMP.COM, DISKCOPY.COM, IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, NULL, OS$DT.COM,
and POQET.ROM.   Most of this files also have the system flag set.

I hope that answers your question.   It doesn't seem that the Poqet has
any secret programs or games.

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009