From: faethor@xxxxxxxx (J. Lawrence)
Subject: Windows on HP200LX?
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 23:09:14 -0600 (CST)

     I just got Windows 2.1 (also known as Windows 286) to run on my Poqet,
with help from Jay Hinkle.  Thanks Jay!  Now that I have Windows running on
my Notebook and my Poqet, I'm wondering if anyone has gotten Windows to run
on an HP200LX?  I couldn't get Win 2.1 to run on my HPLX, even though it
works fine on my Poqet.  Odd, eh?   If anyone has experimented with this,
I'd appreciate any advice, whether 'it's impossible', or 'just do..'.

    Domingo posted his installation of Windows for Poqets, and I find that
many of the files are different in his list than I'm running.  What version
of Windows is that, Domingo?

    If anyone knows of any apps for ancient versions of Windows, I'm interested!

Jay

Re: Hidden Files on the Rom Disk (C:) by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hidden Files on the Rom Disk (C:)
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:56:41 -0800

At 12:02pm (EST) on 6 Mar 97, Alessandro Foi <foi@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>I was wondering what are those hidden files on the C: drive of my poqet...
>if I remember they were SYSMOD.COM... mhhhmm... no, I don't remember the
>others...

I just did an "ATTRIB *.*" on drive C: and I don't see any hidden files...
Am I missing something?

LIM-MC and stuff (was "Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n082") by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: LIM-MC and stuff (was "Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n082")
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:56:42 -0800

At 3:47pm (EST) on 6 Mar 97, Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Bryan, your discussion of LIM-MC brings to mind the notion that perhaps
>earlier versions of DESQVIEW will make better use of the Poqet's
>resources in multitasking than WINDOWS. For that matter, LIM aside,
>GEOWORKS might be most appropriate as a mort efficient GUI for
>an 8088 processor in 512K RAM.

Actually, I tried to run DesqView on a Poqet PC once (it was a Prime, I
think).  Didn't work too well -- kept crashing.  It's true, though, that
DesqView would seem to be a good candidate for the Poqet -- it was designed
to do multitasking on an XT-class machine.  I used DesqView for many years
before finally switching to Windows.

>If LIM-MC is in config.sys, then by booting off a floppy, which I think
>my manual alludes to, couldn't we boot without the config.sys/LIM-MC ?

Yup.  You can also just overwrite CONFIG.SYS with a new one and then
CTL-ALT-DEL the machine.  I've also seen people write "soft-reboot"
programs, which they then put into a batch file to copy a new CONFIG.SYS
from a RAM card and then reboot the machine.

Re: Windows on HP200LX? by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Windows on HP200LX?
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 19:47:26 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, J. Lawrence wrote:
>     Domingo posted his installation of Windows for Poqets, and I find that
> many of the files are different in his list than I'm running.  What version
> of Windows is that, Domingo?

Windows 3.0

It worked just fine also in my HP200LX.   But I erased it since I could
not see any real use for a Windows that doesn't multitasks or task switch
Dos programs (real mode is useless to me.  Anybody got standard mode to
work?  I didn't think so).

Domingo

Re: Excited! and Found Outlet for SRAM!!! by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Excited! and Found Outlet for SRAM!!!
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 20:44:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi and sorry for taking so long to answer.

bmoy@xxxxxxxx writes:
 > From: bmoy@xxxxxxxx
 > To: poqetpc@xxxxxxxx
 > Subject: Excited! and Found Outlet for SRAM!!!
 > Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 15:18:24 -0500

snippety ...

> MOUSE.DRV4896(don't use a mouse, can anybody
> figure out how to get rid of this seemingly
> unnecessary file??  - By the way DDVTEACH, what
> exactly does the NOMOUSE.DRV do; I don't think
> you can use the keyboard mouse with that driver,
> can you??)

I did not explain that you really need to set up Windows 3.0 on a
desktop PC, because certain parts of the setup process don't work at
all without a mouse.   But after you are done you can setup Windows to
not use a mouse (it will substitute the mouse driver with
NOMOUSE.DRV).  Windows will *not* work without that driver.   Honest, I
am not making that up.  Ask big Bill about it (not Clinton, the richer
one).  After that you can erase the other mouse drivers.

I hope that helps you some, although as I said before, what good is
it?  I guess I am just bored of Windows.  Dos is so much more efficient.

Domingo

Re: LIM-MC and stuff (was "Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n082") by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LIM-MC and stuff (was "Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n082")
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 20:52:03 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Bryan Mason wrote:
> Actually, I tried to run DesqView on a Poqet PC once (it was a Prime, I
> think).  Didn't work too well -- kept crashing.  It's true, though, that
> DesqView would seem to be a good candidate for the Poqet -- it was designed
> to do multitasking on an XT-class machine.  I used DesqView for many years
> before finally switching to Windows.

I read on the HPLX mailing list that Deskview doesn't work very well on
the HP200LX, even with 2megs!  I'd say that is weird.   Must be a
hardware problem (I also heard that the original version of Software
Carousel doesn't work very well on the HPLX, but of course the HPLX
specific version does).   All this suggests to me that some of this
programs work at a very low level with the hardware, so as to make them
somewhat incompatible with palmtops in general.

Domingo

Re: Windows on HP200LX? by Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo" <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 22:31:46 -0600 (CST)

>It worked just fine also in my HP200LX.   But I erased it since I could
>not see any real use for a Windows that doesn't multitasks or task switch
>Dos programs (real mode is useless to me.  Anybody got standard mode to
>work?  I didn't think so).

Try the DR-DOS from FreeDOS project by Caldera... Or so I hear that it can
task switch?

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs