From: Alessandro Foi <foi@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Digest poqetpc.v001.n081
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 12:02:53 EST

>No device drivers, no changes to config.sys - just the one 57k file.  I've
>been running Win 286 from it for about a month now with no problems.
>One little annoying side effect.  In dos, every time you change
>directories, drives or do just about anything at the dos prompt you get a
>message from stacker that says "STACKER more than doubles your disk
>capacity!! (type EXIT to unmount dirve B:)"  I haven't figured out a way to
>get rid of it yet, but since I use Windows and its not a problem there,
>havn't tried to hard either.

PROMPT $P$G  will give you back the usual prompt

Stacker anywhere works really well but I've noticed a few drawbacks:
- free space on disk is not dynamic, if you copy a 500Kb .zip file on a
512KB stacker'ed card (becomes 1mb) and then type DIR you will read that
there are still more than a half megabytes free, which is simply not true,
and even more, isn't even nearly close to reality. I mean: the "real stacker"
updates dynamically the shown free space evaluating the average compression
ratio of the files already stored on the disk.
- Using Stacker Anywhere will load COMMAND.COM once more in memory, thus
  you lose some kb in free memory.
- SDIR (stacker replacement for DIR - it gives you the compression ratio for
  each file) doesn't work on compressed floppies.

For those who always wondered whether using already pklited .exe with stacker
was of any use or not, here's my answer:  If you don't need programs to load
fast then use pklite as well, together with stacker, it will give you some
more kb of free space on your disk.

Ciao, Alessandro
(owner of a third-hand used Fujitsu 512KB SRAM card - eventually found reading
a paper the day I decided to go buy a brand new expansive card.  Don't know
if it is a 3V or not, but it seems to work fine and it was really cheap)

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n081 by Murph of Borg <dmurphy@xxxxxxxx>

From: Murph of Borg <dmurphy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 08:29:31 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Mar 1997 poqetpc-errors@xxxxxxxx wrote:

-> No device drivers, no changes to config.sys - just the one 57k file.  I've
-> been running Win 286 from it for about a month now with no problems.
-> One little annoying side effect.  In dos, every time you change
-> directories, drives or do just about anything at the dos prompt you get a
-> message from stacker that says "STACKER more than doubles your disk
-> capacity!! (type EXIT to unmount dirve B:)"  I haven't figured out a way to
-> get rid of it yet, but since I use Windows and its not a problem there, I
-> havn't tried to hard either.

Try typing PROMPT $p$g  and see if that helps... :-)

+============================================================================+
| Dennis Murphy                | System Operator, The DMJ BBS System OS/2    |
| Member, [Team OS/2]          | Dialup: (201)271-9485  FidoNet: 1:2630/316  |
| MSU Support Technician       | Official ProBoard Support & Beta Test BBS   |
| Banyan VINES Tech Support    |http://www.csam.montclair.edu/~dmurphy/dmjbbs|
| dmurphy@xxxxxxxx| ProBoard BBS: "The Choice of Professionals" |
+============================================================================+

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n081 by babbie@xxxxxxxx (Earl Babbie)

From: babbie@xxxxxxxx (Earl Babbie)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 06:58:58 -0800

I have a 1-megabyte Verbatim SRAM card which works great in my Poqet.  Even
greater, I can slip it into the PC slot of my Compaq subnotebook, and it
instantly shows up as a new drive--when I can copy from and onto.

Here's my frustration.  I just bought a wonderful TI 650 CDT running Windows
95, and I've been eagerly anticipating reading the SRAM card with it, but
I've been unable to make it work.  Even when I ask Windows 95 to add a
driver for an SRAM memory card, and it says it has, the card never shows up
anywhere I can read it.

Any suggestions?

Earl
| kth Law of CyberSpace: We are all, as individuals,    |
|                        in over our heads.             |
|  Earl Babbie            babbie@xxxxxxxx            |
|  Tel: 714-997-6565      Fax: 714-281-6213             |

Where to find old Windows? by faethor@xxxxxxxx (J. Lawrence)

From: faethor@xxxxxxxx (J. Lawrence)
Subject: Where to find old Windows?
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 08:23:02 -0600 (CST)

    Along with my Poqet classic, I've got a HP200LX and a Lexmark MB-15.
After reading sucessful installations of very old Windows versions, I've got
the itch to try myself.  UNFORTUNATELY..

    I own Windows 3.11, but have NO idea where I could find (purchase or
otherwise) a copy (is it 2.0?) I could use on a 8086/80186 platform.

Appreciate any help,

Jay

Digest poqetpc.v001.n081 -Stacker on a Poqet by Jay Hinkel <HRDOMAIN.CSPO.HINKEL@xxxxxxxx>

From: Jay Hinkel <HRDOMAIN.CSPO.HINKEL@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Digest poqetpc.v001.n081 -Stacker on a Poqet
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 12:43:48 -0700

ERROR.

My note about running stacker on an SRAM card is a bit in error.  The
Stacker.exe file is a tsr that is run to access a compressed floppy.  I had
to run STAC.COM to compress the floppy to start with.  Sorry for the
misleading info.

Jay

Excited! and Found Outlet for SRAM!!! by bmoy@xxxxxxxx

From: bmoy@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Excited! and Found Outlet for SRAM!!!
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 15:18:24 -0500

Eurika!!

Finally, finally at last!, I figured out what I
was doing wrong with my minimum Windows3.0 files.
All the while, I thought it a 512K memory
limitation, but it was not!  When you cold boot
the Poqet the default video mode selected is
momochrome or MDA, which is a text mode.  I
realized this when I tried to run VR (the Vertical
Reader program); I couldn't figure out why it
wasn't running properly - key strokes used to exit
the program worked fine, but there was nothing on
the screen!  That led me to think the poqet was
not in the correct video mode.  (Also, thanks to
ddvteach@xxxxxxxx for getting me to
think that Windows3.0 can run on the Poqet)

The difference with between Windows3.0 and VR is
that Windows returned a DOS error message when I
tried to run it in MDA mode -"divide overflow"
(still dunno what that means!)  Bryan wote: "One
thing interesting about the Poqet is that it
needs the NMI
(Non-Maskable Interrup) on the processor to do
it's power management.  Now the NMI is used for
other things, like floating point emulation in
some libraries, like Borland's -- which is why you
can't develop programs for the Poqet PC using some
versions of Turbo Pascal -- it needs the NMI to do
floating point emulation.

Anyway...if Windows expects to have the NMI vector
all to itself, this might cause problems such as
you describe above.  Well, maybe...I'm not that
sure, but it's possible."

	But that went over my head-dunno what NMI is
or how it can be manipulated, and this is the same
for LIM-MC, Poqet's memory manager.  (Bryan, I
would be very interested in reading the Poqet's
Technical Manual on LIM-MC when you get a chance
to post it on your Web-Site!!)  For instance, VNA
can be removed from memory by running "VNA/U"
(that'll save you 11,280 bytes of RAM!) can LIM-MC
be "uninstalled" besides re-booting without LIM-MC
in the config.sys??  Does Windows use LIM-MC??;
somehow, I don't think so.

In experimenting with Windows3.0, I've chiseled it
down to it ABSOLUTE bare minimum, which makes it
possible to run it off a 720K floppy: (check this
out!)

WINMIN FILES
CGA.DRV	45680
CGAFIX.FON	4208
CGAOEM.FON	4576
CGASYS.FON	4368
COMM.DRV	7088
CONTROL.INI	149
KEYBOARD.DRV	7041
MOUSE.DRV	4896	(don't use a mouse, can anybody
figure out how to get rid of this seemingly
unnecessary file??  - By the way DDVTEACH, what
exactly does the NOMOUSE.DRV do; I don't think
you can use the keyboard mouse with that driver,
can you??)
MSDOS.EXE	46640
SOUND.DRV	3622
SYSTEM.DRV	2784
SYSTEM.INI	296 	(so far...)
WIN.COM	11118
WIN.INI		2179

SYSTEM FILES
GDI.EXE		129691
KERNEL.EXE	68928
USER.EXE	231680

That's total of 574,944 bytes!!!  And with this
configuration, I am able to run all of the
applettes! including Write with scalable font! and
ExcelV2.2a (so far Excel runs on 620K machine, I
havn't tried it on the Poqet yet!)  (Gad! I so
excited!!)

And now for some extra good news!  There's the
Prolinear corp. which makes a 386 palmtop that has
2Mb SRAM cards (Type 1), selling for $229!!!  Isn'
that VOONDERBAR!  They also sell 4Mb FLASH RAM
cards (Type II) for $235.  Can anyone out ther
enlighten me on what FLASH RAM is and if the're
okay to use in the Poqet???  I understand (forgive
me, if I'm wrong) that they can be written over
but just not like a SRAM card - why??  And, er,
will this Type II work in the Poqet as well??
Prolinear's number is 818-821-1881, ask for
Sharron Lee (tell'er I sent cha.)

Well, gotta go now, there's work to do, y'know!

(I'm so happy, happy, happy, happy, happy,... ...
..., now to try to double up my SRAM... ...

PS	Len, hope this helps you out; e me if ya need
more info!  -Bill

Re:Excited! and Found Outlet for SRAM!!! by Brent B. Powers <powers@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Brent B. Powers" <powers@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:Excited! and Found Outlet for SRAM!!!
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 18:19:37 -0500

bmoy@xxxxxxxx writes:
 > From: bmoy@xxxxxxxx
 > To: poqetpc@xxxxxxxx
 > Subject: Excited! and Found Outlet for SRAM!!!
 > Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 15:18:24 -0500
 >
 > Eurika!!
 >
 > Finally, finally at last!, I figured out what I
 > was doing wrong with my minimum Windows3.0 files.
 > All the while, I thought it a 512K memory
 > limitation, but it was not!  When you cold boot
 > the Poqet the default video mode selected is
 > momochrome or MDA, which is a text mode.  I
 > realized this when I tried to run VR (the Vertical
 > Reader program); I couldn't figure out why it
 > wasn't running properly - key strokes used to exit
 > the program worked fine, but there was nothing on
 > the screen!  That led me to think the poqet was
 > not in the correct video mode.  (Also, thanks to
 > ddvteach@xxxxxxxx for getting me to
 > think that Windows3.0 can run on the Poqet)
 >
 > The difference with between Windows3.0 and VR is
 > that Windows returned a DOS error message when I
 > tried to run it in MDA mode -"divide overflow"
 > (still dunno what that means!)  Bryan wote: "One
 > thing interesting about the Poqet is that it
 > needs the NMI
 > (Non-Maskable Interrup) on the processor to do
 > it's power management.  Now the NMI is used for
 > other things, like floating point emulation in
 > some libraries, like Borland's -- which is why you
 > can't develop programs for the Poqet PC using some
 > versions of Turbo Pascal -- it needs the NMI to do
 > floating point emulation.
 >
 > Anyway...if Windows expects to have the NMI vector
 > all to itself, this might cause problems such as
 > you describe above.  Well, maybe...I'm not that
 > sure, but it's possible."
 >
 > 	But that went over my head-dunno what NMI is
 > or how it can be manipulated, and this is the same
 > for LIM-MC, Poqet's memory manager.  (Bryan, I
 > would be very interested in reading the Poqet's
 > Technical Manual on LIM-MC when you get a chance
 > to post it on your Web-Site!!)  For instance, VNA
 > can be removed from memory by running "VNA/U"
 > (that'll save you 11,280 bytes of RAM!) can LIM-MC
 > be "uninstalled" besides re-booting without LIM-MC
 > in the config.sys??  Does Windows use LIM-MC??;
 > somehow, I don't think so.

Window's doesn't use LIM-MC, and it can't be removed (it's in
hardware) from the Poqet

 > In experimenting with Windows3.0, I've chiseled it
 > down to it ABSOLUTE bare minimum, which makes it
 > possible to run it off a 720K floppy: (check this
 > out!)
 >
 > WINMIN FILES
 > CGA.DRV	45680
 > CGAFIX.FON	4208
 > CGAOEM.FON	4576
 > CGASYS.FON	4368
 > COMM.DRV	7088
 > CONTROL.INI	149
 > KEYBOARD.DRV	7041
 > MOUSE.DRV	4896	(don't use a mouse, can anybody
 > figure out how to get rid of this seemingly
 > unnecessary file??  - By the way DDVTEACH, what
 > exactly does the NOMOUSE.DRV do; I don't think
 > you can use the keyboard mouse with that driver,
 > can you??)
 > MSDOS.EXE	46640
 > SOUND.DRV	3622
 > SYSTEM.DRV	2784
 > SYSTEM.INI	296 	(so far...)
 > WIN.COM	11118
 > WIN.INI		2179
 >
 > SYSTEM FILES
 > GDI.EXE		129691
 > KERNEL.EXE	68928
 > USER.EXE	231680
 >
 > That's total of 574,944 bytes!!!  And with this
 > configuration, I am able to run all of the
 > applettes! including Write with scalable font! and
 > ExcelV2.2a (so far Excel runs on 620K machine, I
 > havn't tried it on the Poqet yet!)  (Gad! I so
 > excited!!)
 >
 > And now for some extra good news!  There's the
 > Prolinear corp. which makes a 386 palmtop that has
 > 2Mb SRAM cards (Type 1), selling for $229!!!  Isn'
 > that VOONDERBAR!  They also sell 4Mb FLASH RAM
 > cards (Type II) for $235.  Can anyone out ther
 > enlighten me on what FLASH RAM is and if the're
 > okay to use in the Poqet???  I understand (forgive
 > me, if I'm wrong) that they can be written over
 > but just not like a SRAM card - why??  And, er,
 > will this Type II work in the Poqet as well??
 > Prolinear's number is 818-821-1881, ask for
 > Sharron Lee (tell'er I sent cha.)

You can use Type I flash cards on a Poqet (I do), but you can't erase
or format them.  I can't think of anything in a Flash card that would
require Type II, so it's most likely just a marketing ploy, unless
they really are that thick.

SRAM Cards in Win95 (was "Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n081") by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: SRAM Cards in Win95 (was "Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n081")
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 15:44:52 -0600

Earl,

Have you looked at <http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/faq.shtml#Win95>?
You have to load two real-mode drivers in CONFIG.SYS to get SRAM cards to
work in Windows '95.  You mentioned that you had asked Win95 to add a
driver for an SRAM memory card, but that sounds like the protected-mode
Windows drivers, not the real-mode drivers I mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

-- Bryan

Re: Excited! and Found Outlet for SRAM!!! by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 15:44:53 -0600

At 3:18pm on 4 Mar 97, bmoy@xxxxxxxx wrote:

[ --- snip --- ]

>(Bryan, I
>would be very interested in reading the Poqet's
>Technical Manual on LIM-MC when you get a chance
>to post it on your Web-Site!!)  For instance, VNA
>can be removed from memory by running "VNA/U"
>(that'll save you 11,280 bytes of RAM!) can LIM-MC
>be "uninstalled" besides re-booting without LIM-MC
>in the config.sys??  Does Windows use LIM-MC??;
>somehow, I don't think so.

LIM-MC is a device driver that supports a subset of the standard
Lotus-Intel-Microsoft (LIM) memory manger function calls.  LIM-MC makes it
possible to swap parts of an SRAM card into upper memory on the Poqet PC.
Since LIM-MC is loaded in CONFIG.SYS, I don't think it can be uninstalled
(generally speaking, device drivers loaded in CONFIG.SYS can't be
uninstalled).

[ --- snip --- ]

>And now for some extra good news!  There's the
>Prolinear corp. which makes a 386 palmtop that has
>2Mb SRAM cards (Type 1), selling for $229!!!  Isn'
>that VOONDERBAR!  They also sell 4Mb FLASH RAM
>cards (Type II) for $235.  Can anyone out ther
>enlighten me on what FLASH RAM is and if the're
>okay to use in the Poqet???  I understand (forgive
>me, if I'm wrong) that they can be written over
>but just not like a SRAM card - why??  And, er,
>will this Type II work in the Poqet as well??

There are two kinds of flash cards out there.  I'm not too sure which type
Prolinear is talking about, but it's probably "ATA" flash (described
below).  In any case, if they're Type II thickness, they won't fit in the
Poqet PC's PCMCIA slots, although I understand that there are some Type I
to Type II adapters out there.

"Linear" or "Intel" flash can be used on the Poqet PC as a kind of ROM
disk.  The Poqet PC can read from linear flash cards, but it can't write to
them -- you need a PCMCIA adapter on a notebook or desktop to do that.

"ATA" or "SanDisk" flash cards cannot be used at all on the Poqet PC.  ATA
Flash cards look just like normal disk drives because they have a
PCMCIA-ATA interface, which is very similar to a standard IBM-PC hard disk
interface.  Unfortunately, ATA Flash requires PCMCIA 2.0 compatibility,
which the Poqet does not have.

Hope this helps.

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009