From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SRAM cards: will 5v cards work fine ?
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 1997 15:05:08 -0800

At 2:55pm on 28 Feb 97, Alessandro Foi <foi@xxxxxxxx> wrote
(and I responded):

[ --- snip --- ]

>What can happen?

You will lose data.  The card will become corrupted.  There shouldn't be
any permanent damage to the hardware, however.

>Will that be a problem??

I'd call data loss a problem.  I like my disk storage to be reliable (but
that's just me B^).

>They will let me test the cards for a while before purchase: will
>that be enough?

Maybe.

>Which tests should I do to be sure the card will function properly?

Take a nearly dead set of batteries (best would be a pair of batteries that
have had the "low battery" indicator come on already), and try to write
files to the card.  See what happens.  If the card is 3V, you will probably
get garbage on the card.

However, the only foolproof "test" is to get the spec sheets from the
manufacturer and look at what VDD, (or VCC, or VPP, or whatever they call
the supply voltage) needs to be.  If it is says 5V +/- (whatever) then
you're out of luck.

As Domingo mentiond, there are some more technical details in the FAQ.

Poqet Peripheral List by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Poqet Peripheral List
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 1997 15:05:11 -0800

Hi all!

I've been thinking that it would be a Good Thing (tm) if there were some
kind of list of "approved" or "user-tested" peripherals on the Poqet PC Web
Site.  Names of modems, PCMCIA cards, parallel-port floppy & hard drives,
printers, GPS receivers, framenheim manifold converters ... whatever you've
managed to plug into a Poqet PC and get to work reasonably well.  It would
also be great if the list included manufacturer's names, e-mail address,
web sites, physical addresses, etc.  Any potential "gotcha's" (like,
"doesn't work with power management, etc.) would be very important, too.

So ... if you all could e-mail me with whatever peripherals you use, as
well as manufacturer's info (if you've got it), and any other information
you think is pertinent, I'll make up the list and add it to the Web site.
If you don't have manufacturer's info, that's cool.  I'd rather just make
the list, and we can fill in the holes later.

I also think it would be neat to list the "real people" who use a
peripheral, thereby creating a kind of user-based support network for Poqet
PC peripherals.   If you'd like to participate, let me know and I'll list
only your name and your e-mail address as a person who knows something (or
at least claims to know something) about the equipment.  I WILL ONLY DO
THIS WITH YOUR PERMISSION.  If I don't read anything like "please feel free
to list my e-mail address as a resource for this product" in your message,
you will remain completely anonymous.  I completely understand and
appreciate the desire for privacy and anonymity.

In addition, if you have any ideas on who to improve on this concept (or
even if you think it's a totally useless waste of time and I should shut up
and go away), please drop me a line.  I'm always interested in getting
feedback (both positive and negative) on the Poqet PC Web Site and
everything that goes around it (mailing list, etc.).

"And thank yew fer yur support" (said in the backwaters accent of the two
Bartles and Jaymes guys, for those who still remember those commercials).

Digest poqetpc.v001.n080 -Re Stacker on a Poqet by Jay Hinkel <HRDOMAIN.CSPO.HINKEL@xxxxxxxx>

From: Jay Hinkel <HRDOMAIN.CSPO.HINKEL@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Digest poqetpc.v001.n080 -Re Stacker on a Poqet
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 14:50:00 -0700

My copy of Stacker (ver4.1) has two Stacker executables - one COM
and one EXE.  In the documentation under "Using Stacker Anywhere" it
talks about using a compressed floppy on any machine.  I did some
exploring and found that the stacker.exe file is a 57k program that can be
used to compress a floppy and once the floppy is compressed, you can
use it to mount the compressed floppy drive.  I copied it to my
Poqet, made sure my sram card in B: was empty and then ran the
program on B:.  B: is now a 1 meg card with a 57k stacker.exe file and a
1 meg stacvol.dsk.  In my autoexec, I change to the B: drive and run
stacker(.exe) which mounts the compressed drive which then shows up
as a 2 meg drive B:

No device drivers, no changes to config.sys - just the one 57k file.  I've
been running Win 286 from it for about a month now with no problems.
One little annoying side effect.  In dos, every time you change
directories, drives or do just about anything at the dos prompt you get a
message from stacker that says "STACKER more than doubles your disk
capacity!! (type EXIT to unmount dirve B:)"  I haven't figured out a way to
get rid of it yet, but since I use Windows and its not a problem there, I
havn't tried to hard either.

Hope this helps.
Jay

>Jay, I have Stacker 2.0 and would VERY much like to use it with my
>Poqet sram card but am afraid I will mess up without more specifics on
>how it is done.  Would you mind walking me through the process (what
>files copied from
>Stacker, what changes to config.sys, etc.) I believe there may be
>others on the list who would also be interested.

>Thank you in advance.  Len

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009