From: Alessandro Foi <foi@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: SRAM cards: will 5v cards work fine ?
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 14:55:22 EST

Hi,

I've found a place where to buy SRAM cards in Milan (Italy).
They have Mitshubishi and Kingmax cards. (Mitshubishi 2MB has
the best capacity/price ratio).
Problem is that the Kingmax are 5v operated (I have the tech specs)
and the Mitshubishi might be 5v operated as well (don't know yet).
I'd like to use them in my poqet pc but I believe that the poqet
is designed for use with 3V operated cards (such as the poqet-brand
cards).  What can happen ?  Will that be a problem ??
They will let me test the cards for a while before purchase: will
that be enough ? Which tests should I do to be sure the card will
function properly ?

If anyone is interested in buying a SRAM card in Italy please feel
free to contact me via email.

Alessandro

Re: SRAM cards: will 5v cards work fine ? by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SRAM cards: will 5v cards work fine ?
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 17:17:40 GMT

On 1997-02-28 poqetpc@xxxxxxxx said to ddvteach@gatecom.com
   >Problem is that the Kingmax are 5v operated (I have the tech specs)
   >and the Mitshubishi might be 5v operated as well (don't know yet).
   >I'd like to use them in my poqet pc but I believe that the poqet
   >is designed for use with 3V operated cards (such as the poqet-brand
   >cards).  What can happen ?  Will that be a problem ??
   >They will let me test the cards for a while before purchase: will
   >that be enough ? Which tests should I do to be sure the card will
   >function properly ?

     You will not run into any problems for about 3 or 4 weeks, depending
     on your usage.  Then suddenly one day, after having saved a file, you
     try to read a file from the same card, only to discover that you
     cannot read it.  Upon further inspection you discover that your file
     (and a bunch of others, a whole directory, or even the whole contents
     of the card) is corrupted.   That is my experience.   Let the user
     beware.   Read the details on the FAQ.

     Domingo

     P.S.  Look for either Poqet cards or Verbatim cards (I don't know of
     any others that are known to be fully compatible).

Net-Tamer V 1.07X; Beta - Test Drive

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n077 by User Lolen <lolen@xxxxxxxx>

From: User Lolen <lolen@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n077
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 20:06:15 -0500

   >I picked up an old  copy of Stacker 4.0.  When I tried to install,
   >the software did not find a hard drive so would not install, but I
   >did copy on the floppy compression program and it doubled my SRAM
   >card in drive b: I have Windows 286 ver 2.1 on that drive and
   >everything is working just fine.

Jay, I have Stacker 2.0 and would VERY much like to use it with my Poqet
sram card but am afraid I will mess up without more specifics on how it is
done.  Would you mind walking me through the process (what files copied from
Stacker, what changes to config.sys, etc.) I believe there may be others on
the list who would also be interested.

Thank you in advance.  Len

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009