From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Dark Poqet Screen (was Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n076)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 15:25:04 -0800

At 11:45am on 24 Feb 97, you wrote:
>I had a Tandy M100 and a calculator that blacked out in lots of sun also.

Weird Poqet Trivia #243:

Take the Poqet out on a bright day and use it with your back to the sun.
If your shadow covers part of the screen, one half of the screen will turn
black (the part that is exposed to the sun), and the other half will look
normal.

Very weird, until you know what's going on.  Happened to me once.

Re: What's the secret? -Reply by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: What's the secret? -Reply
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 15:25:03 -0800

At 01:07 PM 2/24/97 -0500, you wrote:

[--- snip ---]

>Even with
>this, running my minimum Windows 3.0 configuration
>(which I call WINMIN) I still get a "divide
>overflow" DOS error message!!  Wot the hell does
>that exactly mean?!?!

[--- snip ---]

One thing interesting about the Poqet is that it needs the NMI
(Non-Maskable Interrup) on the processor to do it's power management.  Now
the NMI is used for other things, like floating point emulation in some
libraries, like Borland's -- which is why you can't develop programs for
the Poqet PC using some versions of Turbo Pascal -- it needs the NMI to do
floating point emulation.

Anyway...if Windows expects to have the NMI vector all to itself, this
might cause problems such as you describe above.  Well, maybe...I'm not
that sure, but it's possible.

Re: What's the secret? -Reply by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 15:25:02 -0800

At 1:07pm on 24 Feb 97, Bill <bmoy@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

[--- snip ---]

>Brian, you also gave an answer on how to make a
>bootable a:SRAM card provided you got another
>system (laptop) that uses PCMICA drives. but me no
>got.  I am guessing that it takes a specialized
>program to SYS.COM a SRAM card than a regular
>floppy.  Am I right?  If so, will using this
>program (specialized SYS.COM) on a system without
>a PCMICA drive work for me???
>
>If this works, then I might be able to use
>DriveSpace which, of course, will to so many more
>possibilities!!  (heh, heh)

The SYS.COM program is the standard program that comes with any DOS
installation (any DOS after 3.3, at least -- I assume it was on earlier
versions as well).

But you've got to have the PCMCIA drives on the machine that is booted into
the other version of DOS that you want.  SYS takes the system files
(IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM and the boot sector) from the host
computer, and transfers them to the drive that you specify (which in this
case would be the PCMCIA slot with the SRAM card).

I can think of one other way to do this where you wouldn't need a PCMCIA
slot.  If I formatted an SRAM card on my system (which has PCMCIA slots)
and then made an "image" of that card -- a byte-for-byte copy of the SRAM
card, and then put that image into a file, I could send the file to you and
all you'd have to do is copy the image file to your Poqet and then find a
way to get the data from the image file into the SRAM card.

I suppose I could write a program to do the image file transfer on the
Poqet.  If anyone else has any other ideas about this, please feel free to
chime in.

Re: Word Processors by hope & bengseng <rice209@xxxxxxxx>

From: hope & bengseng <rice209@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Word Processors
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:24:23 -0500

-- [ From: hope & bengseng * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

Hi,

I was told that WordStar 4.0 or earlier is one of the best word processor
programme for a small DOS machine like Poqet. It has word wrap, page
formating, no limit on the size of the file (I think?) and its small.  I
used it long time ago before moving on to WP51 and then to M$Word6. I sure
wished I had kept a copy of that programme.  Apart form the small header,
the rest of the file is entered in ASCII.  Is anyone out there still
keeping a copy of this programme and would be willing to share?  Do you
think that recycled software company mentioned sometime ago would have such
an old programme?  If yes, how much should we pay for it?!?

Thanks,
Chan BS

Re: RAM and file doublers ? External PS/bigger bats ? by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RAM and file doublers ? External PS/bigger bats ?
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:30:32 GMT

On 1997-02-24 poqetpc@xxxxxxxx said to ddvteach@gatecom.com
   >Has anyone tried RAM doubler type software with the Classic ?

     As far as I know, RAM doublers take advantage of a special feature
     that is unique to Windows.  Therefore you will not see it for DOS.

   >Has anyone tried on-the-fly file compression-decompression software,
   >as Stacker, DiskDoubler, Doublespace or the shareone, DIET, with the
   >Classic ?

     I compress all my executables with WWPACK.  It works better than all
     the other exe compressors I have tried.   I use DIET to compress data
     files that are too large and not used all the time.  Both work very
     well.   The other programs mentioned above are meant to compress
     whole drives, not just certain files.   Plus they take too much
     space.  Doublespace is DOS version dependent.

   >The Poqet Classic is certainly unusual, and philosphically
   >internally consistent in design, with allowing only replaceable AA
   >battery batteries (pun intended) for power. However, is there any
   >reason not to use an external small power supply brick, or even a

     I and several others use a power supply connected to the battery
     connectors.   I modified the connector, not the Poqet.   It is
     possible to modify the Poqet.   You need to be careful not to give
     the Poqet more than 3 vols, as low an mA value as you can get (my
     adapter gives 300 mA, which works ok, but less probably would be
     better), and most important of all, the polarities have to be right
     or you'll toast your Poqet.   I use a volt-ometer each time, which is
     a hassle, but better safe than sorry.

     Domingo

Net-Tamer V 1.07X; Beta - Test Drive

Re: What's the secret? -Reply by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:30:39 GMT

On 1997-02-24 poqetpc@xxxxxxxx said to ddvteach@gatecom.com
   >Bill,
   >I have a couple of Poqets.  Took one to China
   >another to Bosnia and they worked great.  I
   >discovered a way to capture maps via Paintbrush in
   >Windows, reduce their size and with the help of
   >Z.exe (a viewer listed with the Poqet shareware)
   >transfer them to the Poqet.
   >All the above is just to try to impress you into
   >sharing your secret for using some Windows
   >programs on the Poqet.
   >I would love to be able to use Notepad from
   >Windows on the Poqet.

     It is no secret.   The trick is fitting the CGA drivers and all the
     program you want into a 2meg card (or 1meg is possible).  The
     following is the content of my 2meg card with windows in it:

     Directory of A:\WINDOWS
     [.]             [..]            [SYSTEM]        CALC.EXE
     CLIPBRD.EXE
     CLOCK.EXE       CONTROL.EXE     CONTROL.INI     PBRUSH.DLL
     PBRUSH.EXE
     PROGMAN.EXE     SYSTEMTO.GRP    SETUP.EXE       TASKMAN.EXE
     WIN.COM
     WIN.INI         WINFILE.EXE     WRITE.EXE       WINDOWSA.GRP
     WINFILE.INI
     PROGMAN.INI     SYSTEM.INI      DIGITAL.FON
     22 file(s)      1,005,896 bytes
     56,832 bytes free

     Directory of A:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
     [.]             [..]            CGA40WOA.FON    CGA80WOA.FON
     COMM.DRV
     COURE.FON       WIN87EM.DLL     SETUP.INF       GDI.EXE
     HELVE.FON
     KERNEL.EXE      KEYBOARD.DRV    LZEXPAND.DLL    MODERN.FON
     MOUSE.DRV
     ROMAN.FON       SCRIPT.FON      SOUND.DRV       SWAPFILE.EXE
     SYSEDIT.EXE
     SYSTEM.DRV      USER.EXE        WIN.CNF         WINOLDAP.MOD
     PROPRN24.DRV
     LANGSPA.DLL     COURA.FON       COURB.FON       COURC.FON
     COURD.FON
     COURF.FON       CGA.DRV         HELVA.FON       CGASYS.FON
     CGAOEM.FON
     CGAFIX.FON      CGALOGO.LGO     CGALOGO.RLE     CGA.GR2
     VDDCGA.386
     NOMOUSE.DRV
     41 file(s)        997,564 bytes
     56,832 bytes free

     To the above listing I added DIGITAL.FON, which was needed to run the
     clock program.   This list can be greatly trimmed according to your
     needs, but I did not try for too long since I found running Windows
     on the Poqet only cool, not useful, particularly since there was not
     enough memory to run Write after starting Calculator.   Real mode
     Windows is a pain, IMHO.

   >program to SYS.COM a SRAM card than a regular
   >floppy.  Am I right?  If so, will using this
   >program (specialized SYS.COM) on a system without
   >a PCMICA drive work for me???
   >If this works, then I might be able to use
   >DriveSpace which, of course, will to so many more
   >possibilities!!  (heh, heh)

     AFAIK, there is *no* way to run SYS.COM on a PC card without a PC
     card drive.   I remember attempting to compresses a 2meg RAMdisk in
     my desktop pc, only to be told that the space was too small.   Sorry
     guys.

Re: Word Processors -Reply by bmoy@xxxxxxxx

From: bmoy@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Word Processors -Reply
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:04:05 -0500

Sender: poqetpc-errors@xxxxxxxx

-- [ From: hope & bengseng * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

Hi,

I was told that WordStar 4.0 or earlier is one of
the best word processor programme for a small DOS
machine like Poqet. It has word wrap, page
formating, no limit on the size of the file (I
think?) and its small.  I used it long time ago
before moving on to WP51 and then to M$Word6. I
sure wished I had kept a copy of that programme.
Apart form the small header, the rest of the file
is entered in ASCII.  Is anyone out there still
keeping a copy of this programme and would be
willing to share?  Do you think that recycled
software company mentioned sometime ago would have
such an old programme?  If yes, how much should we
pay for it?!?

Thanks,
Chan BS

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Yur in luck, Chan BS, I acquired a full copy with
the manual recently and I am willing to
SHARE/give/sell (that's to protect me, just in
kase!).  I have not installed it yet, so I don't
know if it runs.  One problem is that it's on 5
1/4 floppies and I don't have that type of drive
on my system.

If you're on the internet, please ocheck out VDE
-it's WoNdErFuL shareware and it is packed with
features including wordwrap AND it's highly
WordStar compatible; and it's registered version
includes a spell checker!  You can track it down
from the Poqet Web Page (search "poqet").  VDE is
very small, probably more than WordStar 4.0.  The
program itself is only (hold on, I'm checking...)
78044 bytes!

If you still need WordStar 4.0 contact me, we'll
set something up!

Az alwayz, always ready to help out a person in
need...		-Bill

Re: Word Processors by Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo" <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 13:05:38 -0600 (CST)

>I was told that WordStar 4.0 or earlier is one of the best word processor

Jameco Electronics has a WordStar package (donno what version,e tc.) for
about $5.

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs

Re: RAM and file doublers ? External PS/bigger bats ? by Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo" <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 13:30:03 -0600 (CST)

>   >Has anyone tried RAM doubler type software with the Classic ?

>     As far as I know, RAM doublers take advantage of a special feature
>     that is unique to Windows.  Therefore you will not see it for DOS.

Hee hee! More like special "deficiency!!" Windows 3.x has this 64KB RAM
chunks that it uses for household works, like storing menu text, window
positions, etc. 64KB can be used up quickly, hence RAM Doubler to the
rescue. I hear Windows 95 has expanded to 640KB which lessens the chance
of overflow.

>     I and several others use a power supply connected to the battery
>     connectors.   I modified the connector, not the Poqet.   It is

So you're using something like alligator clips instead of permanent
modification on the Poqet?

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs