From: Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n076
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:45:41 -0500 (EST)

I had a Tandy M100 and a calculator that blacked out in lots of sun also.

Michael Fetterman
d005041c@xxxxxxxx

What's the secret? -Reply by bmoy@xxxxxxxx

From: bmoy@xxxxxxxx
Subject: What's the secret? -Reply
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:07:26 -0500

Bill,

I have a couple of Poqets.  Took one to China
another to Bosnia and they worked great.  I
discovered a way to capture maps via Paintbrush in
Windows, reduce their size and with the help of
Z.exe (a viewer listed with the Poqet shareware)
transfer them to the Poqet.

All the above is just to try to impress you into
sharing your secret for using some Windows
programs on the Poqet.

I would love to be able to use Notepad from
Windows on the Poqet.

BTW,  I am using WP 4.1 on the Poqet without any
sram cards. I also posted a method for removing
the hinge pins on the Poqet, reducing their
circumference and replacing them so as to prevent
cracking the hinges as often happens in time with
the Poqet

Still trying to impress you into sharing your
secret.

Len.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Heylo ever'body!

Please forgive me if this is improper email
etiquette becuz I am posting my reply and
including the original response emailed to me.  I
do this only becuz I'm very interested in any
ideas to my dilemma...

Len,

As I stated in my intro email, I was not
successful in running Windows3.0 on the Poqet; I
was only successful in running it on a do-floppy
XT with 640K ram.

Here's some more information:  At default boot-up
(I/O cold-boot) chkdsk reflects 428,544 bytes free
(out of 524,288); by deleting autoexec.bat and
config.sys from the D: drive and soft-booting it,
you'll opt to not run: LIM-MC, VNA, and
PoqetTools.  This will leave you with 476,256
bytes free! (still no 640K ram...)  Even with
this, running my minimum Windows 3.0 configuration
(which I call WINMIN) I still get a "divide
overflow" DOS error message!!  Wot the hell does
that exactly mean?!?!  My research comes up with
nothing more than "you need more memory"
(-duh...).  Which leads me to assume that 512K is
just too small to run it.  However, I have seen
the error message "not enough memory to run
application" (which may not be a DOS message.)

I tried to use a memory manager called ABOVE-Disk,
that works with 512K, but still no success.
Question is: does anyone out there know of a way
of (program or otherwise) in fooling a program
into thinking the computer's got more than 512K???

Many thanks to Brian Mason for taking the time to
answering this in his "Some Questions (was Re:
INFO RESPONSE -Reply)" of 22 Feb.  (All should've
received their subscribed copy of the email.)  In
it Brian describes how one might physically
upgrade their 512K ram chips -too complicated for
me, especially since the Poqet is welded (isn't
that weird?)

Len, babe, if you still wanna know how to
configure WINMIN, gimme an e... and also, could
you send me the instructions on pin circumference
reduction -Gad! you got me worried!  (Is this
really necessary preventive medicine?)

Brian, you also gave an answer on how to make a
bootable a:SRAM card provided you got another
system (laptop) that uses PCMICA drives. but me no
got.  I am guessing that it takes a specialized
program to SYS.COM a SRAM card than a regular
floppy.  Am I right?  If so, will using this
program (specialized SYS.COM) on a system without
a PCMICA drive work for me???

If this works, then I might be able to use
DriveSpace which, of course, will to so many more
possibilities!!  (heh, heh)

Caio, guys!

Digest poqetpc.v001.n076 -Reply by Jay Hinkel <HRDOMAIN.CSPO.HINKEL@xxxxxxxx>

From: Jay Hinkel <HRDOMAIN.CSPO.HINKEL@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Digest poqetpc.v001.n076 -Reply
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:01:54 -0700

RE:
>Has anyone tried RAM doubler type software with the Classic ?
>Has anyone tried on-the-fly file compression-decompression software,
> as Stacker, DiskDoubler, Doublespace or the shareone, DIET, with the
> Classic ?

I picked up an old  copy of Stacker 4.0.  When I tried to install, the
software did not find a hard drive so would not install, but I did copy on
the floppy compression program and it doubled my SRAM card in drive b:
I have Windows 286 ver 2.1 on that drive and everything is working just
fine.

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009