From: McWrapper@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n075
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 04:21:18 -0500 (EST)

I have a weard story...I left my poqet out in the sun for about...a day and
when I came back it LCD screen was black...I couldn't even use it...then like
a week later it went back to normal...what happened.

Eric

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n075 by Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo" <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 13:36:38 -0600 (CST)

>I have a weard story...I left my poqet out in the sun for about...a day and
>when I came back it LCD screen was black...I couldn't even use it...then like
>a week later it went back to normal...what happened.

LCD does that under high temperature. In low temperature, the screen may
not get updated at all.

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs

Re: SRAM Cards and Battery Life (was Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n073) by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: SRAM Cards and Battery Life (was Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n073)
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 19:11:28 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Michael Blake wrote:
> I have jsut lost all the data on my 2 MB card, but I think it was because
> my desktop PC Card reader somehow screwed up the formatting, but maybe
> someone here can tell me what happened. Maybe the battery died.
> The symptom is that when I do a dir command, I get garbage.

What kind of SRAM card do you have?   That's the symptom I got when my 5
volt SRAM card decided to act up on me.   To avoid any problem with
corrupted files you need to use a 3 volt card (such as those from Poqet
or Verbatim).  The 5 volt card will work fine until the Poqet's AA
batteries begin to wear out (you do not get any warning of this.  The
Poqet simply drops voltage from 5 volts to 3 volts).
A more complete explanation is in the FAQ.

Domingo

P.S. Currently I use my 5 volt SRAM card as read-only storage, with no
problems so far.   I use a Verbatim card for any writing purpose (those
cards are difficult to find, I am affraid).

RAM and file doublers ? External PS/bigger bats ? by Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RAM and file doublers ? External PS/bigger bats ?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 00:23:25 -0500 (EST)

Has anyone tried RAM doubler type software with the Classic ?
Has anyone tried on-the-fly file compression-decompression software,
 as Stacker, DiskDoubler, Doublespace or the shareone, DIET, with the
 Classic ?

The Poqet Classic is certainly unusual, and philosphically internally
consistent in design, with allowing only replaceable AA battery batteries
(pun intended) for power. However, is there any reason not to use an
external small power supply brick, or even a set of C or D batteries for
the job ? I think there is space in the small cranny under the battery
cover and between the left side of the case and the penlight batteries to
put a miniature phono jack. That would allow a simple plug in of another
source of 3 volts D.C.  Even given that larger external batteries could
be safely connected in parallel with the penlights, are special cautions
needed in the quality of the DC output of the powerbrick, or will what we
can get at the local Radio Shark be good enough ?

I'd suppose that a set of D cells would last a year.....

Michael Fetterman
d005041c@xxxxxxxx

Stuff for sale/swap ? by Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Fetterman <d005041c@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Stuff for sale/swap ?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 00:35:44 -0500 (EST)

Just getting into the Poqet, and I like it a lot.
Still everything has a price, so I thought I'd list what I have relevent
to the Poqet world, and see what bites. Swaps are often more interesting
than cash (unless it is a LOT of cash.....)!

All items are new or like new, in original packing,boxes, with manuals.

Poqet Model 0164
64K card
512K card
AlphaWorks
Lotus 1,2,3
PoqetTools Cable
Null Modem adapter
Parallel Cable
Toshiba 301 Expresswriter Printer (battery or AC operation)
Brother battery operated thermal printer

Will entertain offers on all or separate items. Don't be offended if I
don't jump though..

Michael Fetterman
d005041c@xxxxxxxx

Re: RAM and file doublers ? External PS/bigger bats ? by Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo" <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RAM and file doublers ? External PS/bigger bats ?
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 03:11:01 -0600 (CST)

>Has anyone tried RAM doubler type software with the Classic ?
>Has anyone tried on-the-fly file compression-decompression software,
> as Stacker, DiskDoubler, Doublespace or the shareone, DIET, with the
> Classic ?

You know, there's a thing from PKWare called PKLite. It compresses .EXE
and .COM files. When you load PKLite-compressed programs, it automatically
expands. Won't save you any RAM space, but surely the disk space. And you
don't need to unzip it everytime you want to use it.

>However, is there any reason not to use an external small power supply
>brick, or even a set of C or D batteries for the job ? I think there is
>space in the small cranny under the battery cover and between the left
>side of the case and the penlight batteries to put a miniature phono
>jack.

That's sure possible. I think few listers are doing that?

I don't see much problems with C or D batteries. But I'll think ask twice
and figure everything out before I'd hook up the power supply. You might
fry your Poqet.

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs