From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n071
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:59:41 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Domingo Diaz-Vazquez wrote:
> >For me it has been about 4 weeks, with 2 SRAM cards, no modem, and very
> >seldom using the serial cable, and when I do I use AC power with
> >makeshift cables.
> Whatdaya mean "no modem?" You have PCMCIA modem to go with it?

Some people here do, but I don't.   That's all I meant.  A fairly
barebones setup.

Domingo

Digest poqetpc.v001.n072 -Reply by Jay Hinkel <HRDOMAIN.CSPO.HINKEL@xxxxxxxx>

From: Jay Hinkel <HRDOMAIN.CSPO.HINKEL@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Digest poqetpc.v001.n072 -Reply
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 08:45:56 -0700

Thanks for the info.  I have Windows on a 1 meg S-RAM card with the
calculator, calendar, clock and Write and it works just fine.
The key was a comment someone made about being in graphics mode.
Once I discovered that, the CGA config. for Windows came up.  Next I
downloaded a copy of pqmode so I could set the graphics mode in the
autoexec.bat and I have a great PDA/PIM.  I did note however, that
power management is turned off when Windows loads.  I guess I just
have to remember to hit the I/O button instead of relying on the Poqet to
turn it self off.  My only complaint is the cursor.  It is almost impossible to
see.

Also, where is the best place to buy 2 meg S-RAM cards.  I see flash
cards advertised for less but if my understanding is correct, one needs
some way to load the flash cards before they can be used in the Poqet
type I slots.

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n071 by Brent B. Powers <powers@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Brent B. Powers" <powers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:57:36 -0500

Bryan Mason writes:
 > From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
 > To: poqetpc@xxxxxxxx
 > Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n071
 > Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:59:22 -0800
 >
 > There is no single answer to this question.  Poqet Computer originally said
 > that you'd get 100 hours of battery life.  This was marketing bullsh . . .
 > ahem . . . a marketing specification, however.  The real figure is closer
 > to 50 hours, but that depends heavily on how you use the Poqet and what
 > you've got in the PCMCIA slots.  I think everyone gets slightly different
 > battery life, but it's usually a couple of weeks between battery changes
 > for most people that use alkalines (everyone feel free to correct me if I'm
 > wrong).
 >
 > -- Bryan
 >
 > At 2:33am on 17 Feb 97, McWrapper@xxxxxxxx wrote:
 > >How long do the batterys last in the poqet?  I have been using them to type
 > >my notes in class instead of writing them....2 hrs a day/ 4 days a week.  Its
 > >been running strong for the past 4 weeks.

Hmmm, I can recall one of the engineers at Comdex stating that you
could get up to 2 hours of battery life on just 100 batteries...

Things that kill your batteries:

   Ram cards left in the PCMCIA slot (Take the bloody things out when
you don't need them)
   Graphics mode
   Using the serial port
   Having a Poquet floppy disk drive within 100 yards of the poqet.
   If I recall correctly, using a portable modem, or just having it connected.

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n071 by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 20:59:28 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Brent B. Powers wrote:

> Hmmm, I can recall one of the engineers at Comdex stating that you
> could get up to 2 hours of battery life on just 100 batteries...

Thanks, I sure needed to read that!  You have made my day.

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009