From: McWrapper@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Why is so hard to find equiptment?
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 02:31:00 -0500 (EST)

When I got my Poqet for $30 I got a serial cable.  I thought it came
standard.  I mean what is the point of having it if you can't transfer the
files that you made on it...its would just be logical to have it come
included, wouldn't you think?

Eric

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n071 by McWrapper@xxxxxxxx

From: McWrapper@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n071
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 02:33:39 -0500 (EST)

How long do the batterys last in the poqet?  I have been using them to type
my notes in class instead of writing them....2 hrs a day/ 4 days a week.  Its
been running strong for the past 4 weeks.

Eric

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n071 by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:59:22 -0800

There is no single answer to this question.  Poqet Computer originally said
that you'd get 100 hours of battery life.  This was marketing bullsh . . .
ahem . . . a marketing specification, however.  The real figure is closer
to 50 hours, but that depends heavily on how you use the Poqet and what
you've got in the PCMCIA slots.  I think everyone gets slightly different
battery life, but it's usually a couple of weeks between battery changes
for most people that use alkalines (everyone feel free to correct me if I'm
wrong).

-- Bryan

Re: Why is so hard to find equiptment? by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Why is so hard to find equiptment?
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:59:19 -0800

When the Poqet was originally introduced in 1990, it *was* shipped with a
PoqetLink (null-modem) cable.

What happened, though, is that thousands, probably greater than five
thousand, Poqet PCs were produced, but probably less than one thousand
cables (and an even fewer number of floppy drives) were manufactured.
Because the company thought the Poqet would be wildly successful,
production was ramped up very quickly, with most of this stuff being
produced in the first couple of months.  When it became obvious that the
Poqet PC was not going to be that successful, production was shut off.  By
then, however, there were thousands of Poqets (but only hundreds of cables)
in the warehouse.

So the situation now is that there are still lots of Poqet PCs, but no
cables to go with those computers.

-- Bryan

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n071 by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:30:35 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Bryan Mason wrote:
> you've got in the PCMCIA slots.  I think everyone gets slightly different
> battery life, but it's usually a couple of weeks between battery changes
> for most people that use alkalines (everyone feel free to correct me if I'm
> wrong).

For me it has been about 4 weeks, with 2 SRAM cards, no modem, and very
seldom using the serial cable, and when I do I use AC power with
makeshift cables.

Domingo

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n071 by Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo" <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 14:18:02 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Domingo Diaz-Vazquez wrote:

>For me it has been about 4 weeks, with 2 SRAM cards, no modem, and very
>seldom using the serial cable, and when I do I use AC power with
>makeshift cables.

Whatdaya mean "no modem?" You have PCMCIA modem to go with it?

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs
Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009