From: Jay Hinkel <HRDOMAIN.CSPO.HINKEL@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: New Subscriber
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:09:18 -0700

Hi,

I have owned a Poqet for nearly a year not but just discovered this
place.  I have the PQ0164 with a parallel cable, one 512k and one 1meg
card and a copy of Lotus 123.  I don't have much use the 123, but I really
like the basic unit.  I use a Xircom parallel port ethernet connection to get
"stuff" to and from the Poqet.  I do need some help though.

I can never get a second \ when typing in a path.  the second time I hit
the \ key I get a 0 (zero).  I have had to resort to all kinds of tricks to get
b:\pqfiles0startnet to read b:\pqfiles\startnet.

I also have a copy of Windows 286 ver. 2.1 which will install in less than
800kb but can not find a video driver to use for the 640x200 screen.
Does anyone have any suggestions?  Baring getting Windows to work
can anyone suggest a small DOS word processor?  With only 1.5 meg,
I'm pretty limited.

Re: New Subscriber by Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Psychotic Don't-you-dare-tickle-me Elmo" <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New Subscriber
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 16:12:04 -0600 (CST)

>I also have a copy of Windows 286 ver. 2.1 which will install in less than
>800kb but can not find a video driver to use for the 640x200 screen.
>Does anyone have any suggestions?  Baring getting Windows to work
>can anyone suggest a small DOS word processor?  With only 1.5 meg,

Ur... GEM with GEM write? Sorry, couldn't help it... (:

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs

Re: New Subscriber by Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>

From: Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:44:26 -0800

At 02:09 PM 2/13/97 -0700, Jay Hinkel
<HRDOMAIN.CSPO.HINKEL@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I also have a copy of Windows 286 ver. 2.1 which will install in less than
>800kb but can not find a video driver to use for the 640x200 screen.
>Does anyone have any suggestions?  Baring getting Windows to work
>can anyone suggest a small DOS word processor?

The CGA driver should work.  Instead of Windows, I think GeoWorks
1.x would be the way to go for an XT-class machine, although
I've never tried to get it to install in < 2 mb.  I think
Surplus Software had this program for $12 at one time.

If size is critical, MS Works for DOS is a good way to go--
it can be run in a pseudo-graphical mode (you get italics and bold).

|  Aaron Wallace                        The Internet Factory, Inc.   |
|  aaron@xxxxxxxx                            http://www.ifact.com   |

Re: New Subscriber by David Deckert <jeeves@xxxxxxxx>

From: David Deckert <jeeves@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:06:40 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Aaron Wallace wrote:

> If size is critical, MS Works for DOS is a good way to go--
> it can be run in a pseudo-graphical mode (you get italics and bold).

I think that works by replacing the graphic card's text font which will
only work on VGAs.

 When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just stare at
 you blankly and say "Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*"
 	--Linus Torvalds

+--- jeeves@xxxxxxxx ----------------------------- finger for public key ---+

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009