  1. Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n065 by C <santipu@xxxxxxxx>

Digest Articles

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n065 by C <santipu@xxxxxxxx>

From: C <santipu@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n065
Date: Vie, 07 Feb 97 00:35:35 +0100 (MET)

Hi

The problem with getting programs to run on a Poqet is to find the
ORIGINAL (very early versions) of many popular programs. If you
want a full fledged word processor that will run on the Poqet, try
WordPerfect 4.2.  Sans the Thesaurus and Spell Checker, it will
fit very nicely in a 512K card with plenty of room to spare for
data. I would strongly suggest, though, that you make an effort to
get larger memory cards if you really want to take the machine to
its fullest potential.  I have 2 2-MB cards, which are by now
almost full with programs and data.

Two programs that I find very useful are the original versions of
SuperKey and Sidekick (remember them?) which also work very nicely
on the Poqet as TSRs. Sidekick has a pretty useful text editor
which can handle files up to 45K.  My hands-down favorite program
is v.1 of "Instant Recall", a PIM which I use for just about
everything and which turns the Poqet into an absolutely fantastic
productivity tool.  For a spreadsheet I use something called
"2020", although I think that the original version of "123" or
"Lucid" should work just fine too.  Many other programs also work
fine, but I personally have not found uses for them.  Good luck
finding the early versions, though.

I own three Poqets, and will probably buy a fourth in anticipation
of the day the ones I have finally die of the usual causes:
Cracked Hinge (one showing signs already), Broken Ribbon (two
previous ones died of that) or just plain ol' accident.  I love my
machines and log an average of about 2 hours/day on whichever one
I am using during a particular period (I rotate them) since I have
all my planning and control system on "Instant Recall" and now
cannot live without the gizmo.  I can only hope that, when my
Poqets are finally gone, there will be something decent to replace
them with.  Is there some other machine that does the same as the
Poquet?  I was looking at literature for the Cassiopeia a few days
ago, but, since it has most everything in ROM, it will require me
to adapt to what's available and the way it works rather than the
other way around.  Also, I don't like to have just 10 hours of
battery life.

Care to share any creative uses/applications for the machine
and/or specific programs?

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009