From: McWrapper@xxxxxxxx
Subject: The poqet froze
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 17:34:46 -0500 (EST)

I was in school yesterday typing the notes that were on the board...when all
the sudden the program wouln't let me put any more keystrokes in.  I opened a
new program and then it worked again...the file was 3998K only...what
happened?

Eric

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n063 by Rev. M.A. Cobb <revcobb@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Rev. M.A. Cobb" <revcobb@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n063
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 18:33:33 -0500

------------6EC574AD72700

Thanks for the feedback.
The "junk" that was trailing post was apparently generated by Netscape
Communicator. I just recently downloaded it and I notice that when you
reply to mail, it adds html code at the end.  I must be careful to
delete it before sending mail.  Thanks for the heads-up!
--
Rev.Cobb

------------6EC574AD72700

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>Thanks for the feedback.  </DT>

<DT>The "junk" that was trailing post was apparently generated
by Netscape Communicator. I just recently downloaded it and I notice that
when you reply to mail, it adds html code at the end.  I must be careful
to delete it before sending mail.  Thanks for the heads-up!<BR>
-- <BR>
Rev.Cobb</DT>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------------6EC574AD72700--

Re: The poqet froze by Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The poqet froze
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 16:28:30 -0800 (PST)

Yup, Eric, there is a tiny filesize limit in PoqetWrite (4KB sounds like
it), which is why most of us here have switched to another editor. The
good news is that you have a nubmer of choices, since there are a lot of
freeware and shareware editors that will run under DOS 3.3. Start by going
to the Poqet website for some recommendations/downloads.

New to this list! by wayne24@xxxxxxxx

From: wayne24@xxxxxxxx
Subject: New to this list!
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 01:15:52 GMT

Just joined this list and glad to know of it exists.  Hope I am
replying correctly.

I have two (2) Poqet Classics, a diskette drive and two Poqet cables
plus various cards.  I have used a Poqet off and on since 1991 and
followed the forum on CompuServe for some time.  As I am in systems
engineering I use various computers and operating systems including
PC's and Macs, Mini Computers etc.  Like you I found the Poqet an
outstanding product and find it still holds its own today!

I modified one of my Poqet's to include an external battery charger
using parts from Radio Shack (charger and plug part).  I got the
information on this from a post on CompuServe.  It works great.  If
anyone wants this I'll try to find the original post and pass it along
for placement I would guess in the library that has been so graciously
provided by the author of this list.  I also modified the disk drive
so that it too has an external charger (takes a six volt and again I
got the parts from Radio Shack).  Both of these modifications are easy
to do (except in the case of the Poqet itself you should probably
replace the large capacitor so that you have sufficient room for the
plug in).  With the plugin and charger I can now work with or without
batteries (with batteries I use NiCads).  The hookup to the charger
should allow me to use 5 volt cards (I have not really experimented
with 5 volt) while I am plugged in to the charger.  I should also help
with using anything plugged into a parallel connector (such as
parallel to SCSI).

I don't have a parallel cable or I would have already tried out a
parallel to SCSI T138 that I have successful connected to many
notebooks and desktops.  Works fine.  Does anyone have an extra
parallel cable to sell.  I have not tried California Digital to find
out.  The California Digital web site still is up but their e-mail is
not.

As I only recently started re-tinkering with my Poqet (in between
various projects), I have considered upgrading the 720k diskette drive
to a 1.44mb.  Has anyone done this?  I noticed that some of you
reported in the past issues of this list that you have 1.44mb diskette
drives with your Poqet.  I have had my drive apart before (it is glued
together if you are wondering).  I am trying to figure out the jumpers
necessary to install the 1.44mb.  Power and drive connections are the
same cable types as for the 720k.

One other thing I have successful done is run MS-DOS 5.0 using the
Poqet key to startup drive A as the system.  This is probably nothing
new but it does give greater support to using a wider selection of
hardware tools and devices.  Also has anyone used a greater than 2 mb
SCRAM card.  I know the HP95 has to use a special input file to access
greater than 2 mb if anyone had tried using that file on a Poqet with
a SCRAM greater than 2mb?

I have a lot more questions and don't won't this to get to long.

Virgil Dewain ("Wayne") Medlin, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus

Re: The poqet froze by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 03:02:24 GMT

On 1997-02-04 poqetpc@xxxxxxxx said to ddvteach@gatecom.com
   >I was in school yesterday typing the notes that were on the board...
   >when all the sudden the program wouln't let me put any more
   >keystrokes in.  I opened a new program and then it worked again...
   >the file was 3998K only...what happened?
   >Eric

     I assume you were using Poqet write, and I assume you meant to write
     the above number in bytes, otherwise you have "only" a 4 megs file.
     8=).   Poqet write has a files size limit (4k, I think?), and if you
     reached it then that's the reason.   From a personal point of view, I
     would *NEVER* use Poqet write, seeing how there are many fine (and
     free) programs available for DOS that do the same a lot better.
     Check Simtel under text utilities and under editors.  Lots of good
     choices.  Tinyed is a good one, the Thomson-Davis editor is great,
     etc.

     Regards,

     Domingo

     P.S. If my guess was not correct, is because you did not provide much
     information to guide in helping you.   If it was not Poqet write,
     remove all TSR's except what you need, and you'll be ok.
Net-Tamer V 1.07X; Beta - Test Drive

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009