From: robert zarcone <bzarcone@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: "Death of a Poqet" or "Everything Hinges on a Hinge"
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 1997 19:33:21 -0800

Okay:

It was only a hairline crack.  Right side.  Right next to the "I could
get kinky on you at anytime" cable.  I saw it and thought: "Gee, I've
never seen THAT there before.  I wonder how long--" and crack!  My six
year old Poqet was suddenly flapping in the breeze like a dead bat on a
Stealth Bomber's windshield.

So then I thought: "Okay. . . don't panic.  Maybe it was DESIGNED to do
this.  They spent all of that R & D money on ultra top secret power
saving devices and instant on modes and well. . . when all the big money
ran out the guys at Poqet were forced to contact Harry's House of
Hinges."

But seriously, six years of heavy use is not bad.  And now I get to
unwrap my shiny like new back-up.  So, that leaves the question: "Can
anything be done to prevent this from happening again?"  I ask this
because now that I look at an old Poqet I was given for parts, it had
the same crack developing before it died the Kinky Kable death.

As for my former Poqet companion, since it still works well I'm finally
going to design that 8 1/2" x 8 3/4" all wood Poqet(tm) Holder.  That
way it will lay flat like my old Tandy 100 used to and if I make it
right I can use it like a Newton and one hand everything.

Happy New Year and I'll always be there when I need you.

Robert Zarcone

Re: "Death of a Poqet" or "Everything Hinges on a Hinge" by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: "Death of a Poqet" or "Everything Hinges on a Hinge"
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 12:24:58 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 1 Jan 1997, robert zarcone wrote:
> unwrap my shiny like new back-up.  So, that leaves the question: "Can
> anything be done to prevent this from happening again?"  I ask this

I have had my Poqet for a little over a year now and I discovered the
crack on the hinge a couple of weeks ago.   How long do I have before it
dies?   Is there any way of keeping this from happening or repairing it
if it falls apart?   Someone here said that superglue does not work
because of the strenght of the hinge.   What am I to do?  I am so
disgusted that I am thinking of deserting my Poqet in favor of an
HP200LX, even though it does not suit my needs as well as my Poqet.

Domingo

Re: "Death of a Poqet" or "Everything Hinges on a Hinge" by Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx> <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>" <honge@creighton.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 15:57:54 -0600 (CST)

>> unwrap my shiny like new back-up.  So, that leaves the question: "Can
>> anything be done to prevent this from happening again?"  I ask this

>I have had my Poqet for a little over a year now and I discovered the
>crack on the hinge a couple of weeks ago.   How long do I have before it
>dies?   Is there any way of keeping this from happening or repairing it
>if it falls apart?   Someone here said that superglue does not work

I got mine around July. I don't think it's been opened and close for more
than 30 times -- and mine is already showing a hairline crack on the side
with that pressure tab (that's the LCD creen cable side). Is it that the
pressure tab is exerting too much pressure?

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs

Re: "Death of a Poqet" or "Everything Hinges on a Hinge" by Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 14:39:11 -0800 (PST)

After reading all these messages and proclaiming their authors paranoid,
I took a look at my own relatively new Poqet. Sure enough, there's that
crack we're all talking about. . . .

Michael

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009