From: bertelli@xxxxxxxx (Carlo Bertelli)
Subject: broken cable poqets
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 21:48:13 +0100

Hello,

I'm trying to fix broken screen cables. I failed with mine, but I think I
can develop a better technique. Is there some broken cable Poqet to buy for
this purpose? I will summarize to the list if get some (even partial)
success.

TIA
        Carlo

Carlo Bertelli - Istituto di Storia dell'architettura
                 Facolta` di Architettura dell'Universita` di Genova
                 Stradone S. Agostino, 37      Genova (Italy)
                 tel. 39 10 209 5835            fax 39 10 209 5838
e-mail: bertelli@xxxxxxxx

Re: Blinking Cursor by RUSSELLLEWIS@xxxxxxxx

From: RUSSELLLEWIS@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Blinking Cursor
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:24:39 -0500 (EST)

"Richard Secrist" <RSECRIST@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> Is there an editor I can use or other means that will let me use a
> flashing block prompt instead of a flashing underline ?  I don't have
> problems in excellent light, but on the road in random lighting
> conditions, especially with a full page of text on the screen so the
> display starts to gray out, it was darn near impossible to find the
> cursor while editing.  Suggestions welcomed.

Hi Richard,

There is a free editor called TINYED available at several FTP sites. I
have been using this editor for a couple of years on my desktop machine
as well as my palmtops.  There are several advantages to using TINY on
the Poqet: For one thing, it is small (under 10k) and uses only the
memory of its own code plus the size of the file being edited.  This
makes it possible to edit rather large files.

It also is configurable so you can customize things like the colors,
command line recall, and <alt> and <ctl> key commands to the way you
want.  One of the rather unusual features of TINYED is that it uses a
command line within the editor to do such things as importing,
exporting, and search and replace.  Because it uses a command line, you
can also recall previous commands. You can also edit multiple files and
easily copy/move text from one file to the next.

Concerning the cursor, I believe that TINYED will use the same size cursor
that is currently used at the DOS command line.  Right now, I have a
full-height blinking cursor because I am using 4Dos as my command
interpreter and 4Dos allows you to set the height of the command line
cursor.

There are several FTP sites where you can find TINYED, mostly (as far as
I know) OS/2 sites since there is a version of the editor for OS/2.

Let me know if you have any more questions about TINYED.

    Russell Lewis

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009