From: Derek Hofmann <derek.hofmann@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Poqet PC and parallel port devices
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 01:53:35 -0700

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) in connecting any parallel port
drive, such as the Zip drive, to a Poqet PC (classic)? If you've even tried
it, whether successfully or unsuccessfully, I'd love to hear about it. I'm
thinking about adding a Zip, parallel port MO or parallel port hard drive to
my Poqet PC for additional portable storage.

Thanks,

Derek Hofmann
derek.hofmann@xxxxxxxx

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n043 by John Oram <norami@xxxxxxxx>

From: John Oram <norami@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n043
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 06:22:01 -0800

poqetpc-errors@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> * replying to messages in this digest can be found at the
> * end of the digest.
>
> --------------- MESSAGE poqetpc.v001.n043.1 ---------------
>
> From: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n042
> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 22:51:23 -0500
>
> >>3) IMPORT/EXPORT- Has anyone done any work on importing data into PoqetTools
> >>   from a PIM or organizer? I've been playing around with a Perl script
> >>   to build a PHONE.ABD file from the ASCII text exported by the organizer
> >>   program I run on my windows box. So far, it seems to work well;
> >>   especially given the limitations of both systems' formats.
> >
> >I've got a windows program that will read PoqetTools .ABD files and output
> >them into either comma-delimited text or Microsoft Access (.MDB).
> >Actually, the program is a fully-blown version of PoqetAddress for Windows.
> > I've been working on it (in some of my spare time) for about 6 months now.
> > If there's enough interest, I'll finish it and put it on the Web page.  If
> >anyone's interested, let me know.  Oh yeah, my version sorts, too.
>
>Say that does sound useful. Since I use the PoqetPC as my ahndy lugable tool, getting "stuff: over the VNA-PQLink - file transfer shareware - etc is not the easiest. Take a look at the Pilot <www.USRobitics.com> stuff. Also moblis has a file transfer article in the Nov, issue. Worth reading also.

John O

Re: Poqet PC and parallel port devices by Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>

From: Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Poqet PC and parallel port devices
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 10:03:48 -0800

At 01:53 AM 12/13/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Has anyone had any experience (good or bad) in connecting any parallel port
>drive, such as the Zip drive, to a Poqet PC (classic)? If you've even tried
>it, whether successfully or unsuccessfully, I'd love to hear about it. I'm
>thinking about adding a Zip, parallel port MO or parallel port hard drive to
>my Poqet PC for additional portable storage.

I think the Iomega software requires a 386 or later--also, the machine
has to be relatively fast to push data through the parallel port.

On the other hand, the drivers for the T348 (parallel to scsi adapter
made by Adaptec) will work on an 8088, although you'll need several
pipe fittings to connect such an adapter to the nonstandard
SCSI connectors on the SCSI Zip drive.

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009