Volume 001, Number 043, 12 Dec 1996

  1. Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n042 by John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@xxxxxxxx>

Digest Articles

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n042 by John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@xxxxxxxx>

From: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n042
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 22:51:23 -0500

>>2) ADDRESS- Silly question, but is it better to enter names as "First Last"
>>   or "Last, First" or does it make a difference? Does Address sort?
>
>Shouldn't make a difference, because PoqetAddress doesn't sort.

*pout* I was afraid of that. Silly question, but what the heck does the
PHONE.ABI file do, then?

>>3) IMPORT/EXPORT- Has anyone done any work on importing data into PoqetTools
>>   from a PIM or organizer? I've been playing around with a Perl script
>>   to build a PHONE.ABD file from the ASCII text exported by the organizer
>>   program I run on my windows box. So far, it seems to work well;
>>   especially given the limitations of both systems' formats.
>
>I've got a windows program that will read PoqetTools .ABD files and output
>them into either comma-delimited text or Microsoft Access (.MDB).
>Actually, the program is a fully-blown version of PoqetAddress for Windows.
> I've been working on it (in some of my spare time) for about 6 months now.
> If there's enough interest, I'll finish it and put it on the Web page.  If
>anyone's interested, let me know.  Oh yeah, my version sorts, too.

Count me in as interested.

>>4) FILE FORMATS- Has anyone got a writeup of the format of the
>>   APPT.SDB file? I'm starting to look at the source for Bob's appt.
>>   cleanup utility to see if I can understand it, but I thought I'd
>>   check first to see if someone already wrote it all out.
>
>I haven't had a chance to analyze Bob's utility and figure out the file
>format.  But if anyone else has (or does at some point in the future),
>please let me know and I'll put it in the FAQ, with appropriate credit
>given to the person who does it.

Well. I finally got around to reading Bob's code and I think I just about
have my head wrapped around it. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll
try to put together some notes (and code) after the holidays.

On a related note, I'm curious... How do you all enter "day events" into
PoqetTools (i.e., anniversaries, birthdays, etc.)? The best I've been
able to do is to enter them with a *really* early time (e.g., 12:01AM)
so they show up at the beginning of the days events. Anyone got a better
idea?

Thanks... <<<John>>>

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009