Volume 001, Number 040, 2 Dec 1996

  1. Re: Inline flash cards for the Poqet by K. Peterson <kpeters@xxxxxxxx>

Digest Articles

Re: Inline flash cards for the Poqet by K. Peterson <kpeters@xxxxxxxx>

From: "K. Peterson" <kpeters@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Inline flash cards for the Poqet
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 18:16:10 -0800 (PST)

I think Domingo may be referring to me.  I asked for help formatting with
equipment purchased from Cal Digital. I haven't returned it (don't really
intend to).  In answer--I don't know exactly what TYPE of flash cards I
have.  As I recall, the setup does fine formatting SRAM cards using the
hardware as a drive socket and the regular Poqet 2MEG format software
through ordinary MS-DOS.  The hardware comes with software that is
supposed to format SRAM and FLASH for a number of computers and a number
of formats.  Poqet is one of the choices shown in the software, but it
hasn't worked.   If anybody wants the equipment and card identity, please
contact me (without bothering the rest of the club, I suggest) and I'll
resend my original message to you.  Ken Peterson

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Domingo Diaz-Vazquez wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Psycho Bob wrote:
>
> > >Hello everyone.   I saw a post once of someone who had the courage to
> > >try to use a flash card on the Poqet.  I wonder whether he or anyone else
> > >succeeded, because I need more storage than what is available in current
> > >SRAM cards. I know it can be done, but I have not heard of anyone
> >
> > I tried the current ATA card -- of course, it didn't work. Is the linear
> > flash card differ in the formatting of the card, or the electronics of the
> > card itself is totally different?
>
> Both.   As I understand, ATA cards come with special built-in drivers
> that cause computers to consider the cards the same as a hard disk.
> In-line, Intel cards come with no drivers.   They have to be formated
> with whatever format the intended computer recognizes (I understand there
> are several).  The Poqet recognizes a pseudo-floppy format that seems
> hard to find.   Someone posted having purchased a PC card drive that came
> with drivers for the Poqet.  The person was having trouble getting it to
> work, and it did not occur to me until just now to suggest whether that
> option refered to SRAM cards, and to try to determine whether it had a
> separate flash format for the Poqet.  The person probably has returned
> the equipment by now, as he said he might do.  If so, that's too bad for
> the rest of us that wanted to know.
>
> Domingo

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009