  6. Re: Inline flash cards for the Poqet by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 13:02:07 -0800

Hi All!

The digests for the Poqet PC Mailing List are now archived on the Web Site.
 Just go to the home page (<http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/>) and
select "Mailing List Archives".

I'm planning on adding a search feature as soon as I can.

Inline flash cards for the Poqet by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Inline flash cards for the Poqet
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 20:18:30 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone.   I saw a post once of someone who had the courage to try to use a
flash card on the Poqet.  I wonder whether he or anyone else succeeded,
because I need more storage than what is available in current SRAM cards.   I know it
can be done, but I have not heard of anyone currently doing it.

Regards,

Domingo

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n035 by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n035
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 20:39:44 -0500 (EST)

(My e-mail program is not properly doing quotes, so I have to do it by
hand, with the resulting mess that follows):

Somebody said:
> Hmmm. Sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. Does the "Dexter
> Editor" automatically wrap words to the next line so I don't have to
> hit <enter>? And, if you delete words in a line, does it bring up words
> from following lines to fill in the gap? That's what I'm looking for. On
> my laptop I use MS Works WP, which does just fine, but takes up too much
> space on the Poqet and drains the battery too fast.

Mel answered:
The program wraps words around to the next line, but when you go to edit
previously written lines, it won't automatically fix them (in other words, it
won't fill in the "gaps" like a real word processor).  Other than that, I love
it.  It doesn't really matter to me anyways, because I always end up
transferring the file to my "real" computer and fix up anything there.

My answer:

The freeware program Online Bible includes an excellent (and free!)
editor which can be configured to do word wraps.  It's reasonably small,
very configurable, and best of all, it does fill in the "gaps" if you use
the back space key at the begining of the next line.   It does work in
the middle or with the delete key.  You can try it by downloading the
basic Online Bible program (without data files) from Simtel, your
favorite site, or from  http://users.why.net/thoover/
I hope that is of some help.

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 21:01:14 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 30 Nov 1996, Domingo Diaz-Vazquez wrote:

> The freeware program Online Bible includes an excellent (and free!)
> editor which can be configured to do word wraps.  It's reasonably small,
> very configurable, and best of all, it does fill in the "gaps" if you use
> the back space key at the begining of the next line.   It does work in
> the middle or with the delete key.  You can try it by downloading the

Sorry, I should have said 'it does NOT work in the middle or with the
delete key'.  Sorry for the typo

Domingo

Re: Inline flash cards for the Poqet by Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Inline flash cards for the Poqet
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 00:46:03 -0600 (CST)

>Hello everyone.   I saw a post once of someone who had the courage to
>try to use a flash card on the Poqet.  I wonder whether he or anyone else
>succeeded, because I need more storage than what is available in current
>SRAM cards. I know it can be done, but I have not heard of anyone

I tried the current ATA card -- of course, it didn't work. Is the linear
flash card differ in the formatting of the card, or the electronics of the
card itself is totally different?

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
  Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs.

Re: Inline flash cards for the Poqet by Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>

From: Domingo Diaz-Vazquez <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 1996 10:34:47 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Psycho Bob wrote:

> >Hello everyone.   I saw a post once of someone who had the courage to
> >try to use a flash card on the Poqet.  I wonder whether he or anyone else
> >succeeded, because I need more storage than what is available in current
> >SRAM cards. I know it can be done, but I have not heard of anyone
>
> I tried the current ATA card -- of course, it didn't work. Is the linear
> flash card differ in the formatting of the card, or the electronics of the
> card itself is totally different?

Both.   As I understand, ATA cards come with special built-in drivers
that cause computers to consider the cards the same as a hard disk.
In-line, Intel cards come with no drivers.   They have to be formated
with whatever format the intended computer recognizes (I understand there
are several).  The Poqet recognizes a pseudo-floppy format that seems
hard to find.   Someone posted having purchased a PC card drive that came
with drivers for the Poqet.  The person was having trouble getting it to
work, and it did not occur to me until just now to suggest whether that
option refered to SRAM cards, and to try to determine whether it had a
separate flash format for the Poqet.  The person probably has returned
the equipment by now, as he said he might do.  If so, that's too bad for
the rest of us that wanted to know.

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009