From: Dayton Marcott <daytonm@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n035
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 10:14:47 -0800 (PST)

> I was searching around for simple and small word processor the other
> day, and I came across a good one.  It's called the "Dexter Editor" or
> something like that.  It's got an interface similar to MSDOS edit, but
> it adds a whole host of features, and it's only 70k.  It's got
> excellent pull-down menu structure, and best of all you don't have to
> read a 100k documentation file to figure out how to use it.  It's not
> really a word processor, but more like a suped-up editor.  Nonetheless
> it works fine for me.
>
> I use it on my Toshiba T1000 8088 laptop, and it works great.  I think
> you can get it at the ZDnet shareware library, at www.hotfiles.com.
> It runs well in only 256k of ram.  I don't think it continuously
> writes to the screen (I think I would notice on my CGA screen), but
> there's some sort of option that says "eliminate video flicker" or
> something like that, but all I know is that it makes the menu's much
> slower on my laptop.  Also, you must disable the color menus option
> otherwise it's difficult to read anything on the screen.
>
> -Mel

Hmmm. Sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. Does the "Dexter
Editor" automatically wrap words to the next line so I don't have to
hit <enter>? And, if you delete words in a line, does it bring up words
from following lines to fill in the gap? That's what I'm looking for. On
my laptop I use MS Works WP, which does just fine, but takes up too much
space on the Poqet and drains the battery too fast.

Otherwise, on my Poqet I use these programs:

1. My very own editor, which I programmed. Does all your normal editor
functions plus allows you to edit many different files at once, and move
back and forth between them, also copy between them, etc. Doesn't take up
too much disk space, about 42K.

2. A "flash card" program I also wrote and sometimes find useful. If
there's something I need to learn that would be useful to make flashcards
for, I use this program instead.

3. A public domain calculus calculator program. Turns my poqet pc into a
graphing calculator. Works quite nicely, though I have to turn off power
management while a 3-D graph is being produced (but I can turn it back on
afterwards.

But, as I said, I'd still like to locate a simple auto-wrap word
processor.

- Dayton

Re: Digest poqetpc.v001.n035 by Melvin M Tsai <tsaimelv@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Melvin M Tsai" <tsaimelv@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 18:53:13 -0500 (EST)

> > I use it on my Toshiba T1000 8088 laptop, and it works great.  I think
> > you can get it at the ZDnet shareware library, at www.hotfiles.com.
> > It runs well in only 256k of ram.  I don't think it continuously
> > writes to the screen (I think I would notice on my CGA screen), but
> > there's some sort of option that says "eliminate video flicker" or
> > something like that, but all I know is that it makes the menu's much
> > slower on my laptop.  Also, you must disable the color menus option
> > otherwise it's difficult to read anything on the screen.
> >
> > -Mel
>
> Hmmm. Sounds like it might be what I'm looking for. Does the "Dexter
> Editor" automatically wrap words to the next line so I don't have to
> hit <enter>? And, if you delete words in a line, does it bring up words
> from following lines to fill in the gap? That's what I'm looking for. On
> my laptop I use MS Works WP, which does just fine, but takes up too much
> space on the Poqet and drains the battery too fast.

The program wraps words around to the next line, but when you go to edit
previously written lines, it won't automatically fix them (in other words, it
won't fill in the "gaps" like a real word processor).  Other than that, I love
it.  It doesn't really matter to me anyways, because I always end up
transferring the file to my "real" computer and fix up anything there.

-Mel

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009