From: Jerry Stringer <STRINGJ@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Digest poqetpc.v001.n034 -Reply
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 10:08:02 -0600

** Reply Requested When Convenient **

My name is Jerry Stringer and I was given a Poqet PC about three years
ago. The person giving it to me thought it was broken because after
replacing the batteries, it still didn't work. It took me about two minutes to
find and press the cold reboot switch. Everything has worked fine since
then. Up until I found out that I could write data to the SRAM card I
purchased for it with a Toshiba notebook computer, I didn't get much use
from the Poqet. I then found the Poqet WEB site and have had my interest
renewed.  I'm currently looking for some source for the 80-pin edge-type
connector to enable me to make my own serial, parallel, etc. cables.  If
anyone knows of a source, please post to this list as I am extremely
interested in acquiring some way to let this computer talk with other
devices (configuring concentrators and routers as well as transferring
files).  Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Introduction by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Introduction
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:58:25 -0800

Hi Eli!

I'm not too sure if QBASIC will run on the Poqet PC, or what C compilers
will run.  Others on this list may know about these programs, hopefully one
of them will respond to your question.

There are no PCMCIA modems that will run on the Poqet PC because the PCMCIA
cards are only compatible with Revision 1.0 of the PCMCIA specification and
most modem cards require PCMCIA Revision 2.0.  The PCMCIA slots of the
Poqet PC really only support SRAM and "linear" Flash cards.

If I remember correctly, PoqetTalk supports Kermit, XModem, and XModem-1K
file transfer protocols.

Hope this information helps!

-- Bryan

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 08:58:23 -0800

Hi John!  Welcome to the list.

Programs can do a couple of things to defeat power management.  The most
common is to continually write information to the screen.  Every time a
program writes something to the screen, the Poqet power management routines
reset the countdown timer that controls when the Poqet goes into "display"
mode (the low power mode in which the system is still actively displaying
information, but consumes less power).  If a program writes information to
the screen (like continually updating an on-screen clock), then the system
will never go into that low power display mode.

Battery life shouldn't really be impacted that much by using SRAM cards.
It is true that the SRAM cards are powered by the Poqet PC's AA batteries,
but most SRAM cards don't consume that much current, so the impact should
be minimal.

Hope this information helps.  Good luck with your Poqet.

-- Bryan

Re: Introduction by Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 11:59:32 -0600 (CST)

>I'm not too sure if QBASIC will run on the Poqet PC, or what C compilers
>will run.  Others on this list may know about these programs, hopefully one
>of them will respond to your question.

I was trying to run some simple wordprocessor instead of my usual arsenal
of WP5.1. I tried QBASIC, and it does work. But the EDIT that came with
W95 will not. As for C compilers, try out those shareware/freeware that
will only take small footprint...

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
  Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs.

Re: Introduction by Naeher <rnaeher@xxxxxxxx>

From: Naeher <rnaeher@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:58:07 -0500

Psycho Bob wrote:

> >I'm not too sure if QBASIC will run on the Poqet PC, or what C compilers
> >will run.  Others on this list may know about these programs, hopefully one
> >of them will respond to your question.
>
> I was trying to run some simple wordprocessor instead of my usual arsenal
> of WP5.1. I tried QBASIC, and it does work. But the EDIT that came with
> W95 will not. As for C compilers, try out those shareware/freeware that
> will only take small footprint...

OK, thanx...
O\\\O\\\O==================================--

From: Naeher <rnaeher@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 15:00:57 -0500

Bryan Mason wrote:

> Hi Eli!
>
> I'm not too sure if QBASIC will run on the Poqet PC, or what C compilers
> will run.  Others on this list may know about these programs, hopefully one
> of them will respond to your question.
>
> There are no PCMCIA modems that will run on the Poqet PC because the PCMCIA
> cards are only compatible with Revision 1.0 of the PCMCIA specification and
> most modem cards require PCMCIA Revision 2.0.  The PCMCIA slots of the
> Poqet PC really only support SRAM and "linear" Flash cards.

OK, thanx...

> If I remember correctly, PoqetTalk supports Kermit, XModem, and XModem-1K
> file transfer protocols.

OK, can others be added?

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:54:53 -0800

Nope.  What you sees is what you gets.

(What do you expect from a 7-year old TSR B^)

-- Bryan

From: Naeher <rnaeher@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 17:29:59 -0500

Bryan Mason wrote:

> Nope.  What you sees is what you gets.
>
> (What do you expect from a 7-year old TSR B^)

Not much, I guess...and I doubt anything I'd be downloading would be big enough for it
to make a difference anyway...:)

<no subject> by Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 23:34:18 -0600 (CST)

I was still trying good word processing programs for the Poqet -- one that
doesn't take much disk space, one that does not make Poqet to go into
energy-waster mode, and unlike WP, that the cursor does not dissapear into
thin air if one forgets to run that special TSR.

Well, I found one that seems to work besides the too-simple qbasic (editor
mode). It's by Spinnaker -- a simple wordprocessor that was packaged with
PC clones of about 8 years back. I got mine with the purchase of Amstrad
one-piece PC. Called Easy Working Writer, it's a spin-off from the
"Eight-in-One" (cheap) intergrated package that was also sold by
Spinnaker.

Donno if it is still being sold today. But it was perfect for the Poqet --
no power-waster mode, a VERY solid slow-blinking cursor, and a footprint
of 210KB -- including the spell checker. With everything running under
MS-DOS 5.0 (this takes more memory than MS-DOS 3.3, believe it or not...),
I got about 210KB available for document processing. Pretty cool. No fancy
desktop-publishing mode, however. (; I'll see if I can get Xerox Ventura
Publisher 1.2 to run on the Poqet -- it'll be my next fun experiment...

By the way, why is the 512KB RAM Poqet is reported to be 458785 bytes free
by chkdsk? That does not compute to a 512KB computer. The figure is with
buffers=15 and files=20 in the config.sys, and no memory-grabber in
autoexec.bat under MS-DOS 5.0 (I believe that's also the number reported
under Poqet's MS-DOS 3.3).

Re: by tsaimelv@xxxxxxxx (Mel Tsai)

From: tsaimelv@xxxxxxxx (Mel Tsai)
Subject: Re:
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 06:15:48 GMT

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996 23:34:18 -0600 (CST), you wrote:
>I was still trying good word processing programs for the Poqet -- one =
that
>doesn't take much disk space, one that does not make Poqet to go into
>energy-waster mode, and unlike WP, that the cursor does not dissapear =
into
>thin air if one forgets to run that special TSR.
>
>Well, I found one that seems to work besides the too-simple qbasic =
(editor
>mode). It's by Spinnaker -- a simple wordprocessor that was packaged =
with
>PC clones of about 8 years back. I got mine with the purchase of Amstrad
>one-piece PC. Called Easy Working Writer, it's a spin-off from the
>"Eight-in-One" (cheap) intergrated package that was also sold by
>Spinnaker.

I was searching around for simple and small word processor the other
day, and I came across a good one.  It's called the "Dexter Editor" or
something like that.  It's got an interface similar to MSDOS edit, but
it adds a whole host of features, and it's only 70k.  It's got
excellent pull-down menu structure, and best of all you don't have to
read a 100k documentation file to figure out how to use it.  It's not
really a word processor, but more like a suped-up editor.  Nonetheless
it works fine for me.

I use it on my Toshiba T1000 8088 laptop, and it works great.  I think
you can get it at the ZDnet shareware library, at www.hotfiles.com.
It runs well in only 256k of ram.  I don't think it continuously
writes to the screen (I think I would notice on my CGA screen), but
there's some sort of option that says "eliminate video flicker" or
something like that, but all I know is that it makes the menu's much
slower on my laptop.  Also, you must disable the color menus option
otherwise it's difficult to read anything on the screen.

-Mel

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009