From: bertelli@xxxxxxxx (Carlo Bertelli)
Subject: Integrated packages for Poqet PC - A would-be summary
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 16:13:38 +0100

Hello Poqeteers,

I have been looking for a data base program or an integrated package for
the Poqet for almost an year; this is the summary of my trials.

Microsoft Works 1.05
     Disables power management, drains battery in a matter of minutes

Lotus Works
     Disables power management, drains battery in half an hour.

Framework II
     Interferes with power management, useful as a 'theremin' because of
     sound generating keypress; hangs on spreadsheet export to Lotus
     format.

I did also look to some shareware data base and spreadsheets and I've
found Lotus 123 v. 2.01 (I have an italian version) works fairly well
for my needs. No database working by now.

I don't need something very powerful, just a data entry and retrieving
tool, no Oracle or DB2, the Lotus Works data base module is much more
then what I need.

I speak of Lotus Works because it was born as Alpha Works and had a
version on rom card expecially for the Poqet. I bought Lotus Works
because I couldn't find anyone who has a card with Alpha Works. Maybe it
could be useful for someone to have Lotus works to use on a Desktop Pc
and not Alpha Works. Can someone help with Alpha Works or another
integrated package, or even a data base which could be used on the
Poqet?

I recommend using Qedit and Lotus 123 on the Poqet. With the latter I
wrote two long reports and published them on the Web. A big effort for
such a little thing.

Carlo

Carlo Bertelli - Istituto di Storia dell'architettura
                 Facolta` di Architettura dell'Universita` di Genova
                 Stradone S. Agostino, 37      Genova (Italy)
                 tel. 39 10 209 5835            fax 39 10 209 5838
e-mail: bertelli@xxxxxxxx

Re: Uninvited bytes by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Uninvited bytes
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 10:21:11 -0800

This is a result of a couple of things:
- The XMODEM protocol doesn't allow for the transmission of file sizes, so the
  receiver just has to figure out the size of the file on its own.
- XMODEM is a packetized protocol, so data is always sent in full packets.
  The last packet is padded (with zeroes, I believe) to make an even packet.

So the only thing the receiver knows is how many packets were received.  It
takes the number of packets, multiplies by the packet size, and that is the
new file size.  So the size of any file that you send via XMODEM is always
rounded up to the next even packet.

if you look at your file sizes, they should be multiples of 1K (if you're
using XMODEM-1K).

If not, then I'm wrong, and XMODEM-1K can transfer file sizes, and I have
no idea what's going on (but, hey, at least I tried, right?)

--Bryan

New Member by HOPE & BENGSENG <rice209@xxxxxxxx>

From: HOPE & BENGSENG <rice209@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: New Member
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 05:48:00 -0500

-- [ From: HOPE & BENGSENG * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

Hi,

I'm a new member of this mailing list.  I have a Poqet Classic but its
seldom used because I do not have any SRAM cards.

I am interested to buy two SRAM cards from an advertisment in the newsgroup
(pasted below).  Does anyone out there would know if the cards listed below
would be 3V or 5V?  Would any of them below be compatible for the Poqet?

> >1 - 4MB Flash Memory Card - $100.00
> >	by Maxtor - Mobile Max
> >1 - 2MB Flash Memory Card - $60.00
> >	by Maxtor - Mobile Max
> >5 - 2MB Flash / 1MB SRAM Combo Memory Cards - $35.00 each
> >	by IBM

>64k SRAM Card - $15.00 pre-paid
>512k SRAM (HP F1003A) - $25.00 prepaid

Thank you in advance for your help.

Chan BS

New Member by HOPE & BENGSENG <rice209@xxxxxxxx>

From: HOPE & BENGSENG <rice209@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 05:52:47 -0500

From: HOPE & BENGSENG <rice209@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 05:53:48 -0500

-- [ From: HOPE & BENGSENG * EMC.Ver #2.3 ] --

Hi,

I'm a new member of this mailing list.  I have a Poqet Classic but its
seldom used because I do not have any SRAM cards.

I am interested to buy two SRAM cards from an advertisment in the newsgroup
(pasted below).  Does anyone out there would know if the cards listed below
would be 3V or 5V?  Would any of them below be compatible for the Poqet?

> >1 - 4MB Flash Memory Card - $100.00
> >	by Maxtor - Mobile Max
> >1 - 2MB Flash Memory Card - $60.00
> >	by Maxtor - Mobile Max
> >5 - 2MB Flash / 1MB SRAM Combo Memory Cards - $35.00 each
> >	by IBM

>64k SRAM Card - $15.00 pre-paid
>512k SRAM (HP F1003A) - $25.00 prepaid

Thank you in advance for your help.