From: Charlotte Lee <cplee@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Serial Cable?
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 18:48:38 -0700

Hello All!

You can add me to the list of people whose calls weren't returned
by Sparky Solutions. I called them twice and received no call back.

Anyone out there have a serial cable for sale? California Digital
ran out of them a while back and I could really use one! A used
one in working condition would be fine.

Charlotte
cplee@xxxxxxxx

great story from Zarcone by Anna Blade <76516.544@xxxxxxxx>

From: Anna Blade <76516.544@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: great story from Zarcone
Date: 26 Oct 96 01:05:54 EDT

to: >internet: PoqetPC@xxxxxxxx

Robert Zarcone told the most entertaining story I've seen about buying a
computer.

	 ...I was ready to make my move and entered the store, checkbook
	 in hand.  Pandemonium was ensuing.  Apparently the owner had just
	 that morning decided he had had enough of the major stores
	 undercutting him and he was literally piling up computer
	 equipment in the middle of the showroom floor and slapping on
	 random price tags as his soon to be fired salespeople watched on
	 in horror....

It was also very interesting to hear that he used the external 20 meg hard
drive to transfer files, and LetterPerfect to write on the Poqet.

There are a couple of ways to use modems to get around using the VNA/
PQLink method of file transfer. One is to email the files to yourself. The
other is to connect the modems of the two computers with phone cable, then
issue command ATA from one computer (comm program) and ATXD from the other.
For reasons I don't understand, this doesn't always work the first try. The
least aggravating way is email.

On the other hand, if you are copying programs files to the Poqet, the
fastest way I have available is VNA/ PQLink. Some of the others in this
group have PCMCIA ports in their other computer that will read and write
the type 1, release 1 cards used in the Poqet. That would certaining be the
way to go if you have it.

Thanks again for a wonderful story.

Anna

RE: New user by Gary A McConnell <g-3dlib@xxxxxxxx>

From: Gary A McConnell <g-3dlib@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: New user
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 14:08:37 +0200 (MET DST)

Bryan

In your reply you mentioned that you are using a Backpack floppy disk drive
with the Poqet PC's parallel cable.

In connection with Robert Zarcone's mail concerning hard disks, would it not
be possible to add a ZIP Drive to the Poqet through the parallel cable.

Unfortunately I have neither the parallel cable or a ZIP drive to carry out
any tests.

Thanks to all the people for writing to me concerning my query on getting
larger text on the Poqet's screen. I have tried a number of solutions, but
at present I am still working with the standard Write utility.

Anyone know where I can get Letterperfect from?

Best Regards
Gary A McConnell MOIF, DG
Managing Director, 3DLIB
Deputy Govenor of A.B.I.R.A.
email: g-3dlib@xxxxxxxx
url: http://www.monet.no/3dlib

Re: Zip on Poqet by Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Zip on Poqet
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 09:31:14 -0500 (CDT)

>In connection with Robert Zarcone's mail concerning hard disks, would it not
>be possible to add a ZIP Drive to the Poqet through the parallel cable.

In this case, no. It's not that you *cannot* use Zip with Poqet PC, but
rather how Iomega writes the device driver. It seems that for sometime,
Iomega only writes stuff that only works with machine that's at least 386
-- or that's what I think. I've seen people trying out Zip on PC/XT and to
this date, none succeeded. I've tried Iomega's Floptical parallel, and
couldn't get it work on the Amstrad PC/XT -- although it works on the 386
(donno about 286 -- I didn't try that one).

However, if you're "programmingly enhanced," you can go ahead and try to
write a device driver that will work with PC/XT-Poqet PC.

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
  Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs.

RE: New user by Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>

From: Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 11:46:25 -0700

At 02:08 PM 10/26/96 +0200, you wrote:

>In connection with Robert Zarcone's mail concerning hard disks, would it not
>be possible to add a ZIP Drive to the Poqet through the parallel cable.

I might be wrong, but I believe the parallel ZipTools require a 386 or better.

However, you *might* be able to get around this by using the T348 parallel
to SCSI adapter--whose drivers (the last time I checked) would work
on an 8088--and the SCSI Zip drive.

The problem is Iomega uses a nonstandard SCSI connector
on the SCSI Zip drive, so you'll need a set of adapters to get it all
working...

|  Aaron Wallace                        The Internet Factory, Inc.   |
|  aaron@xxxxxxxx                            http://www.ifact.com   |

Card-reader by john s mercer <jmercer@xxxxxxxx>

From: john s mercer <jmercer@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Card-reader
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 17:03:47 -0400 (EDT)

To Brian, or anyone on the list:

I am a new owner of a Poqet and would like
to find what you think is the
best way to communicate to my desktop machine.  Probably the best would be
a floppy drive, but that also turns out to be expensive.  How about
card-readers (I've forgotten what you called them in the FAQ).  A company
named EduCalc seems to have some of these at less than $200.  I have
your FAQ, so understand the voltage variances and needs.  What is your
experience with desk-top card readers/writers?

john mercer
jmercer@xxxxxxxx

RE: Card-reader by Steven W. Decato <swdecato@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Steven W. Decato" <swdecato@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Card-reader
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 14:19:45 -0700

I have a card reader that has two slots that I will sell for $100.  It =
reads and writes to the Poqet cards.  It is made by DFI.  It comes with =
DOS/Windows drivers and documentation.

Steve
swdecato@xxxxxxxx

Re: Card-reader by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Bryan Mason" <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 11:42:00 +8

My personal favorite way to share data between my Poqet and my desktop
is via SRAM cards and a desktop reader.  You avoid having two copies of
the files (which happens when you use PoqetLink), and you also avoid
the slowness of floppy disks.

As I said, I prefer the DataBook ThinCardDrive (TMB-250) because it's
compatible with Windows '95 and will also access PCMCIA 2.0 cards (like
the SanDisk card I use with my HP-100LX).  However, if you're only
doing data sharing with your Poqet PC, one of the less expensive PCMCIA
adapters, that don't do SanDisk Flash or modem cards, should work fine.

-- Bryan

On 26 Oct 96 at 17:03, john s mercer <jmercer@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To Bryan, or anyone on the list:
>
> I am a new owner of a Poqet and would like
> to find what you think is the
> best way to communicate to my desktop machine.  Probably the best would be
> a floppy drive, but that also turns out to be expensive.  How about
> card-readers (I've forgotten what you called them in the FAQ).  A company
> named EduCalc seems to have some of these at less than $200.  I have
> your FAQ, so understand the voltage variances and needs.  What is your
> experience with desk-top card readers/writers?
>
> john mercer
> jmercer@xxxxxxxx

~~~~
Bryan Mason - Menlo Park, California, USA, Earth
e-mail:                <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Poqet PC Home Page:    <http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/>

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009