From: "Bryan Mason" <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: POQET Questions
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 20:58:46 +8

On  1 Oct 96 at 16:49, "Jake" <tbush@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How long until the display wire gets worn enough to break?

Depends on too many factors to give a decent average.  I'd say it
should last between 1-5 years.  Of course, my view is a little biased
since I used to work for Fujitsu (who never really admitted that there
was a problem).  I'd be very interested to hear what other people think
about this one.

> Is there any way to fix it once it does break?

Not an easy way.  If you're really good with a soldering iron, you may
be able to replace the cable.  It's not easy, but it's been done.

> Is the Poqet worth $189 (California Digital) cheaper anyware else?

I don't know anyone else who's selling them new.  You can get used ones
on the net from time to time (I even happen to have one for sale right
now).

> Does it have a mouse/eraser head/pen?

Nope.  No pointing device.

> What kind of ports does it have (LPT COM)?

It has a built in serial port, but you need a special cable to convert
the proprietary connector to a standard DB-25.  It doesn't have a
parallel port, but you can get a parallel port cable from CA Digital.

> If anyone knows any other topics that I should know about before
> I purchase please tell me.

The Poqet PC only support 3v SRAM PCMCIA cards.  You can't use modems,
LAN adapters, or SanDisk cards with the Poqet PC.  There are problably
other "gotcha's" about the Poqet that others on the list could come up
with.

Hope this helps!

-- Bryan

~~~~
Bryan Mason - Menlo Park, California, USA, Earth
e-mail: <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
WWW:    <http://www.best.com/~bmason/>

Free editor with large characters. by ddvteach@xxxxxxxx

From: ddvteach@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Free editor with large characters.
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 10:41:59 -0700

Hi everyone.   I have found a very interesting program that I thought many of
you would enjoy.   It is a kids editor with large type.  Very useful on the
Poqet and other Dos palmtops.   It is not the only program of its kind on
Simtel, but this one is free!   The only down side is that you cannot modify
margins, so your text will have to be reformated to be useful.  It does have
an easy to use menu system.  Give it a try at:
http://www.coast.net/cgi-bin/coast/dwn?msdos/editor/fred.zip

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009