<no subject> by Bob Withers <bwit@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bob Withers <bwit@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 06:54:07 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Rhys Burriss wrote:

> if i create a text file in the  a drive [2meg] instead of the d drive of
> my poqet will there be any limitation on its size?

I think the PQ Write file size is limited to 4K.

> can one create scheduling information in the a drive?

Not sure I understand the question, perhaps someone else can help.

Regards,
Bob

 Bob Withers 		        This space is reserved.
 bwit@xxxxxxxx
 bwit@xxxxxxxx          	        Imagine a really cool picture here.

Re: size of files in poqetwrite by Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: size of files in poqetwrite
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 06:59:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Rhys Burriss wrote:

> if i create a text file in the  a drive [2meg] instead of the d drive of
> my poqet will there be any limitation on its size?

Yes, PoqetWrite files are limited to 4K, no matter where you are saving
them. The limitation is in the program, not in your disk space. Since you
have a 2MB drive, you have room for a better "write" program, such as VDE
(my favorite) or QEDIT (which I think has even more fans).

I think Bryan is planning to put a link in his website that will allow
you to download files like these.

Michael

Flash Cards by LenGeezer@xxxxxxxx

From: LenGeezer@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Flash Cards
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 11:11:37 -0400

I bought a PCMCIA "Reader/Writer" from Calif. Dig. and it works fine in
transfering files from the Poqet to desktop and back.  For example, no
problem in loading Word Perfect 4.1 to a 1 MB card.  Recently Calif. Dig.
advertised PCMCIA flash cards (type-1, 2 MB).  According to the ad, the
adaptor (Reader/Writer) can program flash memory cards. Has anyone tried
programing the above flash card using the PCMCIA reader/writer for the Poqet?
 Would it be advisable to order the flash card and take the chance?

Len

Re: Flash Cards by Steven W. Decato <swdecato@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Steven W. Decato" <swdecato@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Flash Cards
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 08:57:27 -0700

I just bought a DFI PCMCIA device for my desktop.  Under Windows 95, it
recognizes the insertion of the SRAM cards but doesn't see the file
system.  I haven't reread Brian's FAQ on this, so the answer may be on
his page.  I believe he mentioned that you have to have some file in the
config.sys but I'm not sure.

Steve

Re: size of files in poqetwrite by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Bryan Mason" <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 09:02:32 -8

On 13 Sep 96 at 6:59, Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

> I think Bryan is planning to put a link in his website that will allow
> you to download files [VDE and QEDIT] like these.

Yup.  Hopefully, I'll get a chance to do that this weekend.

-- Bryan

~~~~
Bryan Mason - Menlo Park, California, USA, Earth
e-mail:                <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Poqet PC Home Page:    <http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/>

Re: size of files in poqetwrite by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Bryan Mason" <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 09:02:32 -8

On 13 Sep 96 at 12:02, Rhys Burriss <R.Burriss@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

> can one create scheduling information in the a drive?

Yes, you can put the "APPT.SDB" file on drive A:.  When you get to the
PoqetTools main menu, select "Options" and then "Directory Setup".
Change the "Default Drive" to A:\ and then press <F2> to save the
changes.  Any files created by PoqetTools will now be read from and
written to drive A: (unless you specify otherwise).

Note that the directory option has to be re-set whenever the Poqet PC
is rebooted.

Hope this helps.

-- Bryan

~~~~

Re: Flash Cards by Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>

From: Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 09:44:41 -0700

At 11:11 AM 9/13/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I bought a PCMCIA "Reader/Writer" from Calif. Dig. and it works fine in
>transfering files from the Poqet to desktop and back.  For example, no
>problem in loading Word Perfect 4.1 to a 1 MB card.  Recently Calif. Dig.
>advertised PCMCIA flash cards (type-1, 2 MB).  According to the ad, the
>adaptor (Reader/Writer) can program flash memory cards. Has anyone tried
>programing the above flash card using the PCMCIA reader/writer for the Poqet?
> Would it be advisable to order the flash card and take the chance?

As long as it's linear (Intel) and not ATA (Sun/SanDisk), it should work.
Your PCMCIA software will have to support writing to the flash card
using the FAT format, not something like FFS (Flash File System).
There will typically be a program similar to XCOPY that is used to
copy stuff to cards in this format.  Of course, the resulting card
will be read-only, and you'll need to make sure the apps on it are
happy being read-only.

|  Aaron Wallace                        The Internet Factory, Inc.   |
|  aaron@xxxxxxxx                            http://www.ifact.com   |

Re: Flash Cards by Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>

From: Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 09:44:41 -0700

At 08:57 AM 9/13/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I just bought a DFI PCMCIA device for my desktop.  Under Windows 95, it
>recognizes the insertion of the SRAM cards but doesn't see the file
>system.  I haven't reread Brian's FAQ on this, so the answer may be on
>his page.  I believe he mentioned that you have to have some file in the
>config.sys but I'm not sure.

Go into Windows 95 help and search on SRAM.  You need to add two lines
to your config.sys...

Poqet Outfit FS by Mel Zwillenberg <75746.3705@xxxxxxxx>

From: Mel Zwillenberg <75746.3705@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Poqet Outfit FS
Date: 13 Sep 96 13:50:37 EDT

FOR SALE:

-Poqet Classic palmtop computer (512K)

-Serial Cable

-Parallel Cable

Lotus 123 V. 2.2 on PCMCIA ROM card , with manuals

1MB PCMCIA SRAM memory card

$400. shipped in U.S.

Please reply by e-mail.

Re: Flash Cards by Steven W. Decato <swdecato@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Steven W. Decato" <swdecato@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 11:40:31 -0700

I added the two lines and now Windows 95 can read and write to the
cards.  I'm getting file errors when I try to run the programs after
they've been copied, so something is still not right.  Brian, what did
you say about turning power management off?  Could that be the problem?

Steve

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009