From: Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PCMCIA adaptor - Poqet Case
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 13:03:01 -0700

At 02:49 PM 9/11/96 -0500, you wrote:

>I was looking into putting a modem on my PoqetPC and would like to know
>if anyone has a PCMCIA I->II adaptor for sale.  I didn't see any advertised
>on the California Digital page, but I will call them to verify.  Also,
>any experiences from people who use the adaptor and PCMCIA II modems with
>the Poqet??  Problems, things to watch out for, etc?

I imagine the problem will be that the Poqet supports a pre-Release 1
version of the PCMCIA protocol, while almost all modems are Release 2.
Rel 2.x supports I/O ports, while 1.0 is only for memory addressing.
This is not the same as the card type, which is the physical size of
the thing (the Poqet is Type I, the smallest).  There are type I
modems, but I don't know if they're Release 1 or not.  New Media
is, I believe, the maker of such beasts--but they're non-standard
in the sense that they don't look like a PC COM: port; thus, you
have to use the drivers they (hopefully) supply...

(I hope I got the terminology right; it doesn't help that the
PCMCIA--or PC Card--folks keep changing the names of things :~) )

|  Aaron Wallace                        The Internet Factory, Inc.   |
|  aaron@xxxxxxxx                            http://www.ifact.com   |

Re: PCMCIA adaptor - Poqet Case by Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 15:59:14 -0500 (CDT)

> >I was looking into putting a modem on my PoqetPC and would like to know
> >if anyone has a PCMCIA I->II adaptor for sale.  I didn't see any advertised
> >on the California Digital page, but I will call them to verify.  Also,
> >any experiences from people who use the adaptor and PCMCIA II modems with
> >the Poqet??  Problems, things to watch out for, etc?

> I imagine the problem will be that the Poqet supports a pre-Release 1
> version of the PCMCIA protocol, while almost all modems are Release 2.
> Rel 2.x supports I/O ports, while 1.0 is only for memory addressing.

California Digital does sell the converter, but it's questionable if it
really worth the $60 or so.

But the major problem is not only the PCMCIA 1.0 vs PCMCIA 2.0 (spec, or
height) -- but the battery power. If you have browsed through the HP-LX
users, you'll have pretty good idea that these PCMCIA modems really sucks
battery like, um... ur... words fail me. But anyway, the battery life will
cut into the minutes.

Donno about other Poqets, but Poqet Classic will not support anything
other than memory cards in the slot. There was a modem made long ago that
is PCMCIA 1.0-height, and acessed like a memory card. BUt I heard it was
pretty flaky to setup and use.

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
  Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs.

Re: PCMCIA adaptor - Poqet Case by Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 15:27:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Psycho Bob wrote:

> users, you'll have pretty good idea that these PCMCIA modems really sucks
> battery like, um... ur... words fail me.

I believe the operative phrase is, "like the chrome off a trailer hitch."

(With apologies to Willie Nelson,)

Michael

RE: PCMCIA adaptor - Poqet Case by Bob Withers <bwit@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bob Withers <bwit@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 17:25:24 -0500

Mike,

I'm not sure but I think I remember Ca Digital selling the PCMCIA I->II adapters.

Bob

Re: size of files in poqetwrite by Rhys Burriss <R.Burriss@xxxxxxxx>

From: Rhys Burriss <R.Burriss@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  size of files in poqetwrite
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 12:02:42 +0100 (BST)

if i create a text file in the  a drive [2meg] instead of the d drive of
my poqet will there be any limitation on its size?

can one create scheduling information in the a drive?

rhys

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009