From: Mel Zwillenberg <75746.3705@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Dual Adapter for Poqet?
Date: 30 Aug 96 15:41:33 EDT

On Aug. 29 J.Lawrence (faethor@xxxxxxxx) reported on
making a home-made serial cable.

Is there any reason one could not make an adapter to fit the Poqet
bus and have on it both serial and printer ports (maybe even with
standard DB9 and DB25 connectors), as they seem to use different pins?

Then the Poqet would be more like a standard computer without the need
to carry two bulky special cables that make the total package size
more like a notebook than a palmtop.

If anyone offered such a dual adapter at a reasonable price, I
would buy one.

Re: Dual Adapter for Poqet? by ddvteach@xxxxxxxx

From: ddvteach@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Dual Adapter for Poqet?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 16:57:48 -0700

Mel Zwillenberg wrote:

> On Aug. 29 J.Lawrence (faethor@xxxxxxxx) reported on
> making a home-made serial cable.
>
> Is there any reason one could not make an adapter to fit the Poqet
> bus and have on it both serial and printer ports (maybe even with
> standard DB9 and DB25 connectors), as they seem to use different pins?
>
> If anyone offered such a dual adapter at a reasonable price, I
> would buy one.

I second that.   However, I understand that serial and parallel ports are
two very different aspects of the evolution of computers, and as such
they behave differently, making it all but impossible to use one cable
for both.   I would be glad to be wrong on that one!

Domingo

Re: Dual Adapter for Poqet? by Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 17:40:40 -0500 (CDT)

> Is there any reason one could not make an adapter to fit the Poqet
> bus and have on it both serial and printer ports (maybe even with
> standard DB9 and DB25 connectors), as they seem to use different pins?

It all depends on your soldering prowess. With single expansion connector,
you can pull out a serial connection, a parallel connection, and power to
the Poqet easily. I think there's enough signal connections for XT
expansion bus, although I didn't look closely at the Poqet expansion bus
signal to really confirm that...

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
  Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs.

RE: Digest poqetpc.v001.n011 by CHUCK QUICK, ENG'G, MAITLAND SITE 613-348-4253 <cquick@xxxxxxxx>

From: "CHUCK QUICK, ENG'G, MAITLAND SITE 613-348-4253" <cquick@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Digest poqetpc.v001.n011
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 96 08:59:40 EDT

I would like to contact CADigital but their internet address doesn't seem
to work anymore. Can you help.?

Re: Dual Adapter for Poqet? by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Bryan Mason" <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 10:58:54 -8

On 30 Aug 96 at 15:41, Mel Zwillenberg <75746.3705@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Aug. 29 J.Lawrence (faethor@xxxxxxxx) reported on
> making a home-made serial cable.
>
> Is there any reason one could not make an adapter to fit the Poqet bus
> and have on it both serial and printer ports (maybe even with standard
> DB9 and DB25 connectors), as they seem to use different pins?
>
> Then the Poqet would be more like a standard computer without the need
> to carry two bulky special cables that make the total package size
> more like a notebook than a palmtop.
>
> If anyone offered such a dual adapter at a reasonable price, I
> would buy one.

This is certainly doable.  Poqet actually made one of these adapters,
but never marketed it because it was more expensive than they thought
most people would pay for (I think there were also some troubles with
passing FCC requirements).

Making a serial connector is relatively simple because only a few
signals need to be used, and the serial port is actually built into
the Poqet PC.  However, aking a parallel connector is considerably
more difficult because many more signals need to be connected, and you
actually have to build the parallel port outside of the Poqet PC.
Parallel ports are usually one-chip solutions, but that's still much
more complex than just bringing three signals out for a serial port.

I think you'd actually have to etch a PCB to connect to the Poqet PC
expansion port, instead of using the "flattened-wire" approach.

-- Bryan

~~~~
Bryan Mason - Menlo Park, California, USA, Earth
e-mail:                <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Poqet PC Home Page:    <http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/>

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009