From: ddvteach@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Poqet beep and scheduler programs: what works?
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 23:03:21 -0700

Hello Poqetters:

As everyone knows, the Poqet speaker is all but unusable (at least for
applications for which it is really important, such as music programs).  But
I have discovered that with at least two of my programs, the Poqet produces
at least two distinct types of beeps, in accordance with the different
warnings that the program is trying to give me (just as the same programs do
on my desktop pc).  So the million dollar question is:  has anyone yet found
a scheduler program whose alarms work on the Poqet? (I trust you all know by
now that the Poqet scheduler's alarm do not work).

Hey, maybe this would be a quest worth pursuing as a group (then we would
REALLY start taking our Poqets everywere, letting it remind us with beeps
about appointments and such).

What do you think?

Domingo

P.S. Bryan, please don't tell us that there is some hardware/software reason
why this would not work!! ( . . . ??)

Re: Poqet beep and scheduler program: what works? by ddvteach@xxxxxxxx

From: ddvteach@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Poqet beep and scheduler program: what works?
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 01:47:24 -0700

ddvteach@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello Poqetters:
>
> As everyone knows, the Poqet speaker is all but unusable (at least for
> applications for which it is really important, such as music programs).

It never helps to do these things without first doing one's homework.  I
did
figure out a way to get the Poqet Schedule program to wake up the Poqet
and
even beep.  Now, that's the softest alarm I ever heard, and way too short
(5
or 6 beeps). I wonder if there is any way to make the Poqet any noisier,
or
at least much longer (by noisier I mean changing the pitch and/or
duration of
the sound).  A software patch perhaps.

Any ideas?

Domingo

Re: Poqet beep and scheduler program: what works? by Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 01:07:39 -0500 (CDT)

> or 6 beeps). I wonder if there is any way to make the Poqet any noisier,
> or at least much longer (by noisier I mean changing the pitch and/or
> duration of the sound).  A software patch perhaps.

I don't know if you can change the "noise" from the Poqet, but you should
be able to change the number of beep. Just use debug (or something
similar) and trace the darn thing.

Well, talk is easier than doing it, eh?

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
  Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs.

Home-made serial cable by faethor@xxxxxxxx (J. Lawrence)

From: faethor@xxxxxxxx (J. Lawrence)
Subject: Home-made serial cable
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 10:10:29 -0500 (CDT)

    I was able to sucessfully make a serial cable for my Poqet.  I was
fortunate enough to have been able to buy the real serial connector (the
connector extends from the Poqet bus, with a RS-232 connector, no cables)
from Bryan Mason when he was selling off some extra Poqet-stuff.

    My serial connector was dirt simple.  I only used RD, SD, and GND - all
of which are on the TOP of the Poqet bus, a most convenient situation.  They
are also all very near to the vertical 'bar' to avoid plugging the cable in
upside-down.  I used a piece of blank PCB cut to the correct length.  I then
VERY carefully measured and marked the three vital pins.  Using a piece of
wire of the type found in the type of cable used to connect telephone jacks,
I stripped a length, then slightly pounded it flat.  I epoxy'd the three
leads to the PCB, filing off excess epoxy resin once hard.  I lead the leads
to a 3-pole micro-jack.  I then made up two cables - a DB-9 and an RS-232,
one null modem, each with a male 3-pole micro-jack at the other end.  Worked
fine, until I could get the real thing.

-j

Re: Poqet PCMCIA SRAM format... by Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>

From: Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Poqet PCMCIA SRAM format...
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:12:24 -0700

At 05:20 PM 8/28/96 -8, you wrote:

>The trick with Win95 is you have to have two special drivers,
>csmapper.sys and carddrv.ext loaded in config.sys:
>
>	devicehigh=c:\windows\system\csmapper.sys
>	devicehigh=c:\windows\system\carddrv.exe /slot=2
>
>Once these are loaded, Win95 can usually read SRAM cards (at least my
>system does).  There's more information about this on the Web site.

Yeah, that seems to be the trick (I had some other gunk there that
was keeping these lines from being processed...)  Thanks!

|  Aaron Wallace                        The Internet Factory, Inc.   |
|  aaron@xxxxxxxx                            http://www.ifact.com   |

Re: Poqet beep and scheduler program: what works? by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Bryan Mason" <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 14:51:53 -8

On 29 Aug 96 at 1:47, Domingo <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I wonder if there is any way to make
> the Poqet any noisier, or at least much longer (by noisier I mean
> changing the pitch and/or duration of the sound).  A software patch
> perhaps.
>
> Any ideas?

I think that depends on how the software is making the beep.  If the
software is going directly to the hardware and flipping bits to make
the beep, then there's not an easy way to change it, except to write a
software patch for each particular program you want to change (this
could be a nasty business).

If the software is going through the BIOS or DOS to make the beep,
then it's just a matter of writing a small TSR that changes the
duration/tone of the standard DOS or BIOS beep.  It may be possible to
find a tone that will resonate with the Poqet case and will thus seem
louder.

-- Bryan

~~~~
Bryan Mason - Menlo Park, California, USA, Earth
e-mail:                <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Poqet PC Home Page:    <http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/>

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009