From: Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help! My files are trapped
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 23:48:44 -0500 (CDT)

> Can anyone help me think of what went wrong and how to make it right? I'm
> stumped. Is it possible that a faulty Poqet Link cable could be that
> destructive? I hope not.

Possible, as there are several power connections on the expansion bus. If
the edge connector's conductive thingies don't align with the bus, then it
may go kapoot. If the internal stuff is not correctly made in any way,
there might also be some danger to the Poqet.

Now, it also is a possibility that the cable you have is to the right
thing for the job. Is it null-modem cable, or straight serial cable? Have
you tried other file transfer utilities?

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
  Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs.

Re: Help! My files are trapped by Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 21:50:53 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Psycho Bob wrote:

> > Can anyone help me think of what went wrong and how to make it right? I'm
> > stumped. Is it possible that a faulty Poqet Link cable could be that
> > destructive? I hope not.
>
> Possible, as there are several power connections on the expansion bus. If
> the edge connector's conductive thingies don't align with the bus, then it
> may go kapoot. If the internal stuff is not correctly made in any way,
> there might also be some danger to the Poqet.

Oh dear I hope you're wrong. Does anyone ever REPAIR these things?

> Now, it also is a possibility that the cable you have is to the right
> thing for the job. Is it null-modem cable, or straight serial cable?

No, it's the same null-modem cable that I successfully used to transfer a
file from my PoqetPC this morning. Just to make sure, I even tried
putting a null-modem adaptor on it, to no avail. I've also tried
rebooting all affected computers on both ends (I've tried 3 different
desktop and two portable computers with the PoqetPC).

>Have you tried other file transfer utilities?

Yup. That's what I meant by the CTTY COM1 bit.

Michael

P.S. Thanks for trying to help.

Re: Help! My files are trapped by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Bryan Mason" <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 22:52:37 -8

On 27 Aug 96 at 21:35, Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

> Can anyone help me think of what went wrong and how to make it right?
> I'm stumped. Is it possible that a faulty Poqet Link cable could be
> that destructive? I hope not.

Some random thoughts that I hope might help...

I've never heard of a faulty PoqetLink cable (at least I've never had
to handle a return for a faulty Poqet-made cable).  Although, as Psycho
Bob mentioned, it is possible that a mis-aligned cable could mess up
the Poqet because of the power pins that are on the expansion
connector.  As far as the cable being mis-wired, that is less likely,
but possible.  You can always open up the Link cables and see if they
are wired the same.

Another thing to consider is static electricity.  If you hit the
expansion port with enough static electricity, it will knock out the
serial port drivers in the Poqet PC.  The serial port drivers in the
Poqet Prime were especially sensitive to static electricity.

One thing to try is to start PoqetTalk on the Poqet and another
terminal program on your desktop.  After the baud rates and parity are
matched, then just type characters on the Poqet and see if they show
up on the desktop, and vice versa.  You might see characters going one
way, but not the other.  If this is the case, then your serial port
drivers are probably blown.  Usually, only one set or drivers (either
transmit or receive) blow -- not both.

If the serial port drivers are blown, it is possible to repair, but it
means opening up the Poqet and replacing a surface-mount chip on the
motherboard.  If you're handy with a soldering iron, and can find a
replacement chip, it really isn't that hard.  But it's not trivial,
either.

Hope this helps!  Let us know how it turns out.

-- Bryan
~~~~
Bryan Mason - Menlo Park, California, USA, Earth
e-mail:                <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Poqet PC Home Page:    <http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/>

PoqetPC PQLINK problems by jtester@xxxxxxxx

From: jtester@xxxxxxxx
Subject: PoqetPC PQLINK problems
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 08:39:44 -0400

RE:
From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Help! My files are trapped
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 21:35:00 -0700 (PDT)

You wrote:

>I got a new PoqetPC for a workmate today, and it seems to be in complete
<snip>

>What is worse, now MY OWN POQET PC WON'T TRANSFER FILES! I figured there
<snip>
>first). Not only did I fail, now BOTH COMPUTERS ARE FAULTY.

        I wonder if the new connector is faulty.  I've been fiddling with
making a connector, and I have accidentally shorted a couple of the
proprietary pins in the bus slot, causing my Poqet to crash.  I was able to
recover, but it took some doing: the keyboard locked up, INCLUDING the hard
reset button.  I removed the batteries, waited about 15 minutes, then
replaced them.
        By the way, if one of the connector pins is physically too big or
deformed, it could bend the Poqet's corresponding pin out of the way, thus
making future communication impossible.  Try inpsecting the bus slot with a
large magnifying glass.
        Maybe I should have mentioned this alternative first:  Check the
CONFIGURE settings on the PC's (not Poqet) software.  You've probably done
this already, but see if they are set for the correct COM port.  Also,
consider trying a parallel adaptor to the PC and running the PQLINK on both
systems through that port instead.  If you do the latter, try using the PC
as the server and the Poqet as the DTE (the manual recommends the reverse).
        If you get the Poqets to transfer again, I STRONGLY urge you to
download new communication software which require fewer pins.  I like
KERMIT, compiled for DOS 3.3, of course.  This protocol requires only the
TXD, RXD, GND and SHIELD(optional) pins for communication, if you bypass the
DCD.  Kermit is well documented as to how it behaves; I have no idea (half
the time) as to what PQLINK is doing when I send commands to it, so I don't
know which pin ouputs to check.
        Hope these ideas help.

John T. Tester
PhD Candidate
Industrial & Systems Engineering Department
150 Whittemore Hall
Blacksburg, VA  24061
Work:  540-231-6978
Home:  540-951-4509
Email: jtester@xxxxxxxx
Homepage:  http://sedlsun.ise.vt.edu/~jtester/

Connector construction by jtester@xxxxxxxx

From: jtester@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Connector construction
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 08:48:44 -0400

        I sent this message two days ago to the wrong group; I am reposting
it here FYI:

        I'm new to this group as of last week.  I like the size of the Poqet
more than anything else, and it works very well for bibliography reference
and note-taking.

        I am trying to make a serial cable connection for my Poqet.  Yes,
the female connector is unique, but I have made connectors for other
products as well (such as the HP48).  I will use an AMP, .050-spaced, ("VESA
media bus standard"), male card connector.  This connector is supposed to be
mounted on a PCB, but I will mount it on a very short PCB and solder to a
serial cable from there.  There is a connector shroud (on the component)
that I will have to trim as well.  I have an equal share of techie friends
who say it will work and those who say it won't.  Either way, it won't be
too expensive to try, so why not?

        Anybody have any insight into this activity?  I have the Tech Manual
references on the pin-outs.  If this works, I'll publish the results.  If it
doesn't work, I'll publish those results, too.

***UPDATE****
        Well, I got a jury-rigged connector to work, but not well at all.
The 50-pin connector was just too flimsy to work for long.  I kept pulling
out the pins in the AMD connector when I would change clips during my
trouble-shooting.
        The AMD connector also had flat, metal contacts.  I think that the
Poqet connector has raised contacts (I haven't seen one yet) for better
contact with the Poqet slot contacts.  My construction had an intermittent
connection with the Poqet.
        I must say that the FAQ gives accurate information on the pin-outs
for the Poqet.  It was extremely helpful.
        I ordered a parallel cable (caldigital was out of serial cables) to
look at the connector portion.

        I was beaten, but not defeated (yet).

Poqet PCMCIA SRAM format... by Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>

From: Aaron Wallace <aaron@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Poqet PCMCIA SRAM format...
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 10:14:30 -0700

Has anyone succeeded in transferring files between a Poqet PC
and a PCMCIA-enabled laptop/desktop by swapping the PCMCIA card?

I understand the format (psuedo-floppy) is different from the
"normal" DOS SRAM format, but perhaps someone has found a utility
or driver for DOS/Windows that recognizes the Poqet's format...

Sorry if this has been discussed on this list before; I couldn't
find much info about this on the web, other than a few references
to it "might" be possible and few people saying it didn't work
for them...

Aaron Wallace
aaron@xxxxxxxx

Re: Poqet PCMCIA SRAM format... by Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Poqet PCMCIA SRAM format...
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 11:06:40 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, I'd like to know the answer to this, too, since I'm the one howling
about my files being trapped. . . . It would be useful to have the PCMCIA
card swap as one way of getting info out of the PoqetPC. If you answer
Aaron, answer publicly!

Michael

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Aaron Wallace wrote:

> Has anyone succeeded in transferring files between a Poqet PC
> and a PCMCIA-enabled laptop/desktop by swapping the PCMCIA card?
>
> I understand the format (psuedo-floppy) is different from the
> "normal" DOS SRAM format, but perhaps someone has found a utility
> or driver for DOS/Windows that recognizes the Poqet's format...
>
> Sorry if this has been discussed on this list before; I couldn't
> find much info about this on the web, other than a few references
> to it "might" be possible and few people saying it didn't work
> for them...
>
> Aaron Wallace
> aaron@xxxxxxxx

P.S. to MZwillen: Thanks for the suggestions, but . . . my PoqetPC _does_
have PQlink resident in ROM. I'm not having trouble getting PQlink to
run, I'm having trouble getting the two computers to connect _after_
tried ZIP (great program, btw) and its companion program ZIPDUP, but with
the same outcome. I'm afraid I have a hardware problem -- the connection
just isn't established.

Re: Poqet PCMCIA SRAM format... by ddvteach@xxxxxxxx

From: ddvteach@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 15:46:33 -0700

Aaron Wallace wrote:

> Has anyone succeeded in transferring files between a Poqet PC
> and a PCMCIA-enabled laptop/desktop by swapping the PCMCIA card?

I and a number of other people do that regularly with an attached PCMCIA
drive on our desktop machines, both in DOS, and Windows 3.1

The only instances where I could not do it was with several Toshiba laptops
running Windows 95.  I suspect it may have more to do with Win95
incompatibility, rather than Toshiba laptop incompatibility.

Did you try a machine without Win95 yet?

Domingo

RE: Poqet PCMCIA SRAM format... by Bob Withers <bwit@xxxxxxxx>

From: Bob Withers <bwit@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 17:43:48 -0500

I've used PCMCIA cards from my Poqet in the slots of a 486 laptop to =
transfer files in both direction.  I had no problems and the only =
limitation seemed to be that the card be formatted on the Poqet.  Cards =
formatted on the laptop work OK there but were un-readable on the Poqet.

Bob

----------
Has anyone succeeded in transferring files between a Poqet PC=20
and a PCMCIA-enabled laptop/desktop by swapping the PCMCIA card? =20

I understand the format (psuedo-floppy) is different from the=20
"normal" DOS SRAM format, but perhaps someone has found a utility=20

Re: Poqet PCMCIA SRAM format... by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Bryan Mason" <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 17:20:14 -8

On 28 Aug 96 at 15:46, Domingo <ddvteach@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Aaron Wallace wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone succeeded in transferring files between a Poqet PC
> > and a PCMCIA-enabled laptop/desktop by swapping the PCMCIA card?
>
> I and a number of other people do that regularly with an attached
> PCMCIA drive on our desktop machines, both in DOS, and Windows 3.1
>
> The only instances where I could not do it was with several Toshiba
> laptops running Windows 95.  I suspect it may have more to do with
> Win95 incompatibility, rather than Toshiba laptop incompatibility.

The trick with Win95 is you have to have two special drivers,
csmapper.sys and carddrv.ext loaded in config.sys:

	devicehigh=c:\windows\system\csmapper.sys
	devicehigh=c:\windows\system\carddrv.exe /slot=2

Once these are loaded, Win95 can usually read SRAM cards (at least my
system does).  There's more information about this on the Web site.

-- Bryan

~~~~
Bryan Mason - Menlo Park, California, USA, Earth
e-mail:                <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Poqet PC Home Page:    <http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/>

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009