From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: WTB PoqetPC
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 08:43:20 -0700 (PDT)

A workmate has fallen in love with my PoqetPC and would like to buy one.
Anybody got an extra lying around?

Michael

Don't buy 2megs Grid SRAM cards if you are a Poqet user! by ddvteach@xxxxxxxx

From: ddvteach@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Don't buy 2megs Grid SRAM cards if you are a Poqet user!
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 00:19:27 -0700

>From the FAQ:

:To work in the Poqet PC, SRAM cards must be PCMCIA Revision 1.0
compatible
:and must be able to operate at **3 volts**. As far as memory cards are
:concerned, however, there isn't much difference between PCMCIA 2.0 and
1.0,
:so Rev. 2.0 memory cards should work fine.

:The 3 volt requirement arises because, as the alkaline batteries in the
:Poqet PC die, the system voltage can dip down to the 3 volt level. If
your
:PCMCIA cards operate only at 5 volts, then you
:could lose data as your batteries die.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:One thing to remember is that all SRAM cards will retain data at 3
volts. To
:work in the Poqet PC,
:the SRAM cards must operate (read and write data) at 3 volts.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^           ^^^^^       ^^^^^^^^^^

Several months ago I was having trouble losing massive amounts of data
using
these cards and running a program that did frequent writes to disk.
After
talking to Bryan Mason, we traced the problem to the cards operating at 5
vols.  If you already have one, you could do what I do, use it for read
only
storage (if you cannot sell it).  I store my data on a 1 meg Verbatim
card I
own (which runs at the needed 3 vols).  That arrangement has given me no
trouble for at least 6 months (though Bryan warned me that I could get
read
errors, which is nowhere nearly as bad as write errors).

So far, only Verbatim SRAM cards and Poqet SRAM cards (by Fujitsu) are
completely compatible (as far as I know).

Happy Poqetting!

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009