From: "Steven W. Decato" <swdecato@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Historical Prices/Poqet Floppy
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 21:13:56 -0700

I got real lucky and found a BRAND NEW Poqet PC floppy drive.   It is =
quite a device, running on 4 AA batteries in an attractive black case.  =
It came with a cable, batteries, carrying case and strap!  Now I don't =
have to boot into DOS to transfer my Poqet files!  I really like the =
fact that it also has a serial port on the back so you can run a modem =
or any serial device.  No need for a transfer cable any more!

Here's a copy of the a sheet I found in the packing material that might =
interest the group.  It is an original price list from Poqet in 1990.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
ITEM                               Model Number                     SRP
-CPU
 The Poqet PC                    PQ-0164                         $1,995
=20
-PERIPHERALS
 Poqet Floppy Disk Drive     PQ-0511				$  395
 Poqet Parallel PortCable    PQ-0572                         $   60
 Poqet Link Cable                PQ-0545                         $   30
 Poqet Serial/Modem Cable PQ-0539                        $   25

-MEMORY CARDS
 512K RAM                    PQ-0611-06                         $  595
 256K RAM                    PQ-0611-04                         $  375
 64K RAM                      PQ-0611-02                         $  160
 32K RAM                      PQ-0611-01                         $  125

-SOFTWARE
 Lotus 1-2-3                   PQ-0715                              $  =
495
 Lotus Metro/Express    PQ-0721                              $  300
 Lotus Agenda               PQ-0774                              $  395
 AlphaWorks                  PQ-0727                              $  225
 ACT!                             PQ-0733                               =
$  395
 Lucid 3-D                      PQ-0751                               $  =
225
 XyWrite III Plus             PQ-0763                               $  =
495
 PoqetTools 5 1/4"          PQ-0742                               $   75
 PoqetTools 3 1/2"          PQ-0758                               $   75
 Poqet Utilities 5 1/4"      PQ-0766                              $   95
 Poqet Utilities 3 1/2"      PQ-0792                              $   95
 Poqet LAPLINK Mac     PQ-0747                              $  150
=20
-WARRANTIES
 VIP Service Progam     PQ-0879                         $  120
 Extended Warranty       PQ-0862                         $  395

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
By the way, Compuserve still maintains a Poqet PC section along with =
some interesting files.

Here are some of my favorite utilities I've stuffed onto my 2mb SRAM =
card:

QEdit	(Best editor I could find)
QFiler	(File management utility.  Great & Small!)
List	(lists the contents of a file to the screen)
Diet1A	(automatic file squishing)
EBird	(Scheduling/calendar program).

The only thing I need is a menu program.  Any ideas?

Steve

Re: Historical Prices/Poqet Floppy by Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Historical Prices/Poqet Floppy
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 23:26:59 -0500 (CDT)

> -PERIPHERALS
>  Poqet Parallel PortCable  PQ-0572  $60
>  Poqet Link Cable          PQ-0545  $30
>  Poqet Serial/Modem Cable  PQ-0539  $25

As I recall, "Poqet PC Newsletter" by California Digital said something to
this effect:

"Parallel cable was available for Poqet PC. If you ask for the price, you
can't afford it! It has integrated electronics in it... We have custom
serial cable for Poqet PC for $69... a null-modem adaptor for $15"

Are they pulling our legs or what?

In the same newsletter, it said "Please do not call Fujitsu for customer
support -- call us if you got questions. We have knowledgable blah
blah..."

That made me flip!

Send any interesting roadkills to honge@xxxxxxxx!
Fax (402) 593-8975
  Just say "Your lights are on" to DRLs.

RE: Historical Prices/Poqet Floppy by Steven W. Decato <swdecato@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Steven W. Decato" <swdecato@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 21:41:16 -0700

I posted a message on alt.palmtops begging for people to clean out their =
closets of Poqet stuff. =20
The floppy drive was a lucky find.

I was disappointed in the response I got.  Either everyone that has a =
Poqet is keeping then or there just aren't that many left out there.

I also tried posting a classified ($) on Compuserve and came up DRY!

I wish I had the schematic for the drive.  It appears to be glued shut.  =
That would be a handy project to convert a drive over to a Poqet.

I did have one fellow who was using Parallel hard drives with his Poqet =
and wanted to sell everything he had.  However, his prices were =
incredibly high.  He wouldn't come down in price either.  If anyone =
wants to pay his prices, here's his list.  I don't think he will sell =
one-z two-z either.  EMAIL me off line if you want to try and contact =
him.

2   Poqet (512 K version)                      $150  each
1   Communication (null) cable for computer,PC $ 35
1   serial cable, for modem                    $ 35
1   3.5", 1.44M disk drive with serial port    $100
1   printer cable                              $ 35
1   60 MB bse external Hard drive              $125
    (power supply damaged, I'll try to fix it if interested)
1   80 MB bse external Hard drive              $150
    (Hard drives need the printer cable)
2   Poqet 512K SRAM disk (3 v. by Poqet)       $ 60 each
1   1 MB SRAM disk (3 v.)                      $ 85
1   Lotus 123, version 2.0 ROM card            $ 75

I will also have some BRAND NEW still shrink wrapped LOTUS 123 for the =
Poqet to sell.  Let me know if you are interested.

Steve

----------
> I got real lucky and found a BRAND NEW Poqet PC floppy drive.   It is
> quite a device, running on 4 AA batteries in an attractive black case.

Say, where did you get this brand-new fwappy dwive?

Re: Historical Prices/Poqet Floppy by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Bryan Mason" <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 21:51:45 -8

On 13 Aug 96 at 23:26, Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As I recall, "Poqet PC Newsletter" by California Digital said
> something to this effect:
>
> In the same newsletter, it said "Please do not call Fujitsu for
> customer support -- call us if you got questions. We have knowledgable
> blah blah..."
>
> That made me flip!

Actually, I'll let you in on a little "inside" information (but I'll
deny everthing if you ever repeat it).

Fujitsu sold the Poqet PC's to CA Digital with the express condition
that we wouldn't support CA Digital's customers.  We helped CA Digital
on the technical side, answered questions from them, sent them the
software patches, all that stuff.  But we had our hands full with our
existing customers, and we weren't set up to do end-user support, and
we couldn't deal with a couple of hundred additional Poqet PC users.
So that's why CA Digital asked you not to call Fujitsu for tech
support.

-- Bryan

~~~~
Bryan Mason - Menlo Park, California, USA, Earth
e-mail:                <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Poqet PC Home Page:    <http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/>

Re: Historical Prices/Poqet Floppy by Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>

From: Psycho Bob <honge@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 00:12:28 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, Bryan Mason wrote:

> > In the same newsletter, it said "Please do not call Fujitsu for
> > customer support -- call us if you got questions. We have knowledgable
> > blah blah..."

> Actually, I'll let you in on a little "inside" information (but I'll
> deny everthing if you ever repeat it).

Uh-huh. (:

The newsletter did say to the effect in which you described. Call
CADigital, don't call Fujitsu. But the thing was that (some of you may
have seen) when I just got my Poqet from CADigital, I had this prollum
with the speaker. Not only was the #*$(! person I talked was quite
rude, but he DENIED there was a speaker inside Poqet. Wouldn't you say
they are really knowledgable or what?

introductions by Anna Blade <76516.544@xxxxxxxx>

From: Anna Blade <76516.544@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: introductions
Date: 15 Aug 96 00:17:34 EDT

To:>internet: poqetpc@xxxxxxxx

I'm enjoying reading what some of you are doing with the Poqet. I'll echo
what Michael Blake said about the history of his portables - each of mine
has been smaller than the one before. I got started later in the game
though, so my first was a Toshiba T1000se. That one is still going strong
in the hands of student son, Alex. He shares my reductionist view of what
computers need to do.

The next portable was a HandBook. That one became my "desktop" in April
when I bought the Poqet. At last, a computer so close to my ideal note
taker that my mouth is still hanging open. Size, weight, DOS based, ram
cards instead of mechanical drive, runs on AA batteries, and the price is
right!

DOS has become an important consideration for me over the years because I
have _the_ collection of utilities I want to use everyday. Qedit,
ShareSpell, Lync (comm program), grep, PKZip/unzip, and the many batch
files that run my personal databases and other tasks. I have these
utilities and a good many others on the two one-meg sram cards I bought for
the Poqet. The only function I miss daily when using the Poqet is looking
up words in my Roget files.

One item I found at Office Depot and paid way too much for - but love - is
a leather zip up case by St. Dennis, the "Traveler" model. I stared at it
for many minutes rationalizing the $30. I was sure it would exactly fit the
Poqet. I was right. The Poqet, two extra AA batteries, two extra lithium
button batteries for the cards, and a tiny screwdriver fit, after you take
out the wallet incorporated into the case.

There are advantages I didn't foresee in using the case. For one, the case
enclosed Poqet does not look like a computer. For another, the noise of
typing is damped by leaving the open Poqet sitting in the case.

One more observation. I have eased my anxiety about breaking the ribbon
cable by leaving the Poqet open unless I need to close it. I'm too
compulsive to leave it open at the end of the day, but I don't close it
after each session. I figure this may double its life.

Anna

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009