From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Substitutes for resident Poqet utilities
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:38:13 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Bryan Mason wrote:

> Do you turn power management off when you run ZIP?  Turning power
> management off ususally helps serial communications.

Hey, great call, Bryan! Turning off power management solves the speed
problem completely. Thanks for giving me a 6x speed increase. I'm now
transferring files at 115200 bps. Everyone, you should give this ZIP
program a try.

> > I'd love to hear what other utilities people are using on their
> > Poqets. Bryan, would you like me to send you copies of VDE and ZIP
> > (they're both free to individual users) to make available to others,
> > or should we just figure out what ftp site they are at?
>
> The best thing to do is to point me at the FTP site and I'll download
> them from there.

Here are the pointers, Bryan:

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/garbo/garbo_pc//comm/zip172.zip
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/garbo/garbo_pc//editor/vde18f.zip

I've been thinking of splitting the Poqet Utilities
> page on the Web site into two pages -- one for the patches and bug
> fixes from Fujitsu, and the other for shareware/freeware utilities
> that work well on the Poqet.

Good idea.

Thanks again --

Michael

Re: Substitutes for resident Poqet utilities by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Bryan Mason" <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 16:45:31 -8

On 12 Aug 96 at 14:38, Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Bryan Mason wrote:
>

> > Do you turn power management off when you run ZIP?  Turning power
> > management off ususally helps serial communications.
> >

> Hey, great call, Bryan! Turning off power management solves the speed
> problem completely. Thanks for giving me a 6x speed increase. I'm now
> transferring files at 115200 bps. Everyone, you should give this ZIP
> program a try.

Glad I could help.  Whenever I have a program that doesn't like power
management, I'd always do a batch file like:

	PQMODE PWRCTRL=OFF
	ZIP %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6
	PQMODE PWRCTRL=ON

because if I don't, I'd always forget either a) to turn PM off, so
that the program fails, or b) to turn PM back on again, so my
batteries die.

-- Bryan

~~~~
Bryan Mason - Menlo Park, California, USA, Earth
e-mail:                <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Poqet PC Home Page:    <http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/>

California Digital- Still have Poqet for sale? by Patrick Ketelaar <ketelaar@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Patrick Ketelaar" <ketelaar@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: California Digital- Still have Poqet for sale?
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 22:51:05 -0400

As it says, i ant one, where can I get it? I cant reach California
Digital's Web site, but I will call. Are they still selling? Reply via
email.

Patrick Ketelaar- Ketelaar@xxxxxxxx (preferred)
ketelaar@xxxxxxxx or PKetelaar@aol.com
Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009