<no subject> by faethor@xxxxxxxx (J. Lawrence)

From: faethor@xxxxxxxx (J. Lawrence)
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 07:32:53 -0500 (CDT)

    One suggestion to add to the 'header' of each digest:  The information
telling you to send replys to poqetpc@xxxxxxxx  and subscription/unsubscribe
requests to poqetpc-requests@xxxxxxxx

    RIBBON CABLE CARE  -   Is there such a thing as preventative
maintenence/good using habits that will preserve the life of the oh-so
fragile ribbon cable?  The most I've heard is that opening it 180 degrees
(flat, like a book) is _bad_.  True?  Any other such bits of knowledge?

    As a short introduction, I've had my Poqet for ~6 months (whenever CA
Digital began selling them) and loved it from the start.  I've got a 2mb
SRAM and a 1MB SRAM card loaded into the bays.  I keep my \bin files,
\pq_bin, \4dos, \telix, and a \zips directory on the 1MB disk, along with
copies of my config/autoexec files, and a batch program to 'put things
right' after a hard-reset.  I've been running an older version of 4DOS (4.x
I believe) as my command shell, to make it more 'DOS-6.X's, and convenient.
I keep loads of ZIP'd text files, a few games, nettamer, and a V:TES
(Vampire:The Eternal Struggle - Collectable Card Game) DB which I wrote to
keep track of my cards and help me build decks.

    I use my Poqet in conjunction with a Zoom 14.4 Pocket and a Konexx
accoustic to allow me 'anywhere access'.  It isn't that I travel a lot, but
find myself with time to kill often, and there're pay phones practically
everywhere.  <g>

    Along with a Poqet Classic, I have a 1MB HP200LX.  Because of the
keyboard, I don't use it for anything requiring extensive typing, but as a
repository for everything I used to keep in B.O.S.S. organizer, with the
extras of being able to enter checks as I write them (as opposed to sitting
down at the end of the day/week/etc. and typing in a batch), hold DB's
containing my card lists, comic books (I'd buy two copies of the same issue
by accident occasionally, not remembering if I have THAT issue.  No more!
:) and actual books.  Using a combination of Freeloader (a program that will
download a web site, with all accompanying files, modify it so it can find
the files (gifs, jpgs, text, whatever) on your HDD (or SRAM)), and VR, I can
download sites of possible interest and peruse them later.  Freeloader runs
under Windows (and maybe Mac), so I use my T3400CT for the
data-communications, and copy the .htm files via serial.

    I seem to have gone on longer than I intended..  It's nice to have a
place to share our Poqet experiences.

Jay

Re: by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Bryan Mason" <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 13:20:27 -8

On 11 Aug 96 at 7:32, J. Lawrence <faethor@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One suggestion to add to the 'header' of each digest: The information
> telling you to send replys to poqetpc@xxxxxxxx  and

Great idea!  I just did it.

> RIBBON CABLE CARE  -   Is there such a thing as preventative
> maintenence/good using habits that will preserve the life of the oh-so
> fragile ribbon cable?  The most I've heard is that opening it 180
> degrees (flat, like a book) is _bad_.  True?  Any other such bits of
> knowledge?

Opening the Poqeet past 180 degrees is definately a bad idea, and the
farther away you can stay from 180 degrees, the better.

But we didn't focus much on prevention at Poqet when I was there.  We
were just too busy replacing computers.  I heard from one person (I
which I could remember who, so I could give them credit) that they had
put a little bit of Vaseline on the ribbon cable, to help facilitate
retraction into the computer.

Any other ideas like that would be very welcome, I'm sure.

-- Bryan

~~~~
Bryan Mason - Menlo Park, California, USA, Earth
e-mail:                <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Poqet PC Home Page:    <http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/>

Self-introduction by Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Self-introduction
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 17:50:51 -0700 (PDT)

Nice to see some more people logging in and introducing
themselves. Maybe an autoreply to new subscribers should tell them
that you only get full membership on the list (and the secret
decoder ring) after you send a message to introduce yourself.

Bryan, I think the idea of an archive of these messages being
available at the PoqetPC website is terrific. As a new PoqetPC
owner, I hungrily read all I could about how people were using
this computer, following things like the pointer to Conrad Cady's
review. But this is much better -- and eventually will be a rich
collection of ideas to new and experienced users alike.

Anyway, here's my intro: I've been a PoqetPC owner for all of
eight days. If my count is right, this is my fifth portable
computer, dating back to my purchase of an Osborne Executive in
1983. I bought the Ozzie (used) at the then-unheard of price of
$800. Weighing about 30 lbs. and the size of a portable sewing
machine, it was quite a technical wonder, too. You could actually
carry it around with you, and yet it ran powerful CP/M programs
like WordStar and SuperCalc. Since then, each new portable I've
owned (a Zeos, a TI, and a Gateway HandBook) has been lighter and
cheaper than the last, and I've been delighted with each purchase. The
PoqetPC takes me to a new realm. . . .

What this tells you about me (especially the Osborne part) is that
(1) I am impressed whenever someone crams a lot of computing power
into a small space; (2) I like to buy last year's technology from
people who are bored with it and who will sell at a big discount,
like when the manufacturer goes belly up; and (3) I am patient
with wordprocessing programs like WordStar, which was always good
at one thing: getting the words into a computer file, with little
fanfare -- that still is the essence of what I do most of when I
use a computer.

My first impressions of the PoqetPC match what others have said.
It's  a technical marvel still, nearly seven years after its
introduction. I think the resident utilities are pretty stinky,
but who cares, when you see what kind of DOS programs are out
there and can take their place? In my next message, I'll comment
on some substitutes I've found for PQLink and Poqet Write.

I look forward to exchanging more ideas with fellow travelers on
this list!

Michael

Substitutes for resident Poqet utilities by Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Substitutes for resident Poqet utilities
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 17:53:42 -0700 (PDT)

Here are some comments on some utilities that I think I'll be using
regularly on the Poqet. I'm being a little stubborn as a new user,
determined to figure out how to be productive on a barebones
PoqetPC, with no SRAM cards. (I'll probably relent and buy one
soon.) The first thing I have found necessary is to use the
DEVICE=C:\RAMDRIVE.SYS 192 approach to getting a small ramdrive on
E:

I think I first decided that Poqet Write was not a serious
wordprocessor when I couldn't find any way to reformat paragraphs.
(Is it REALLY incapable of this?) That's when I switched to my old
standby, Eric Meyer's VDE. I guess others prefer QEdit, but I
always liked that VDE is free, is an excellent WordStar clone, and
that it will save documents in WordPerfect format.

I'm also a pretty bad typist, and the tiny Poqet keyboard is no
aid. So I have been using a fair number of abbreviations as I
type, and then running a DOS program called FILSCRUB to expand
the abbreviations from an ASCII textfile I keep on drive d:. (I
wrote a nifty VDE macro to reduce this abbreviation-expanding
function to two keystrokes. Ask me if you want more info.)

Eric Meyer is also the author of the OTHER great replacement
utility I'm using on my Poqet. Instead of using VNA and Poqet
Link, I use Meyer's ZIP. The name makes it sound like an archiving
utility, but in fact it is a tiny, poor-man's Laplink. You can run
batch commands from the command line to transfer files much faster
than the full-screen PQLink interface. If I create a file called
LETTER on the Poqet, I move it by typing ZIP LETTER on the Poqet
and ZIP /r on the computer I'm cabled to. So much faster. I did
have trouble with this at first, but then I learned that the
default 115Kbps speed of ZIP is too fast for my Poqet serial
cable; reconfiguring ZIP to run at 19200 Kbps solved the problem.

I'd love to hear what other utilities people are using on their
Poqets. Bryan, would you like me to send you copies of VDE and ZIP
(they're both free to individual users) to make available to
others, or should we just figure out what ftp site they are at?

Michael

Re: Substitutes for resident Poqet utilities by Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Substitutes for resident Poqet utilities
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 18:03:00 -0700 (PDT)

Oops!

> default 115Kbps speed of ZIP is too fast for my Poqet serial
> cable; reconfiguring ZIP to run at 19200 Kbps solved the problem.
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^
        . . .of course I meant to say 19200 bps.

 Michael

Re: Substitutes for resident Poqet utilities by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Bryan Mason" <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 11:09:25 -8

On 11 Aug 96 at 17:53, Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

> I did have
> trouble with this at first, but then I learned that the default
> 115Kbps speed of ZIP is too fast for my Poqet serial cable;
> reconfiguring ZIP to run at 19200 Kbps solved the problem.

Do you turn power management off when you run ZIP?  Turning power
management off ususally helps serial communications.

> I'd love to hear what other utilities people are using on their
> Poqets. Bryan, would you like me to send you copies of VDE and ZIP
> (they're both free to individual users) to make available to others,
> or should we just figure out what ftp site they are at?

The best thing to do is to point me at the FTP site and I'll download
them from there.  I've been thinking of splitting the Poqet Utilities
page on the Web site into two pages -- one for the patches and bug
fixes from Fujitsu, and the other for shareware/freeware utilities
that work well on the Poqet.  But with the shareware/freeware stuff,
I'll have to make sure to include all the original copyright
information, licensing information, readme files -- all that good
stuff.

If you don't know the FTP site, then I can just look on the Web, or use
Archie.

-- Bryan

~~~~
Bryan Mason - Menlo Park, California, USA, Earth
e-mail:                <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Poqet PC Home Page:    <http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/>

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009