From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Welcome, everybody!
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 15:47:20 -0700 (PDT)

I think the Web page, once you have the URL right ;)
is quite helpful, Bryan. I couldn't make it misbehave, despite all my
efforts as a beta tester. . . .

Michael

BESTSERV commands by Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>

From: Michael Blake <blake@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: BESTSERV commands
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 15:58:17 -0700 (PDT)

Some more thoughtful feedback, Bryan.

1. When someone subscribes, it would be good for them to get an
autoreply, if only to remind them that message traffic should go to
PoqetPC, not PoqetPC-Requests. Also, I think everyone should be
encouraged to send out a howdy message with a brief self-introduction,
just so we can get message traffic in gear right away. Maybe the
auto-reply can ask three questions: what kind of PoqetPC do you have?
how long have you had it? what are your primary uses?

2. Are you going to put a link to the mailing-list file on the main
PoqetPC page?

3. I am the "owner" (moderator) of a couple of mailing lists, one which runs
off Pegasus and another a majordomo system under UNIX, and I'm wondering
how to use some of the commands on this system (which I'm presuming is
called BESTSERV). Is there a command to find out who else is on the list?
To get an archive of last month's traffic? As you say, the info message
one gets from BESTSERV by email is considerably less friendly than the
web page.

Michael

Re: BESTSERV commands by Bryan Mason <bmason@xxxxxxxx>

From: "Bryan Mason" <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: BESTSERV commands
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 18:29:07 -8

Some very good ideas Michael!  I've made comments below.

-- Bryan

On  8 Aug 96 at 15:58, you wrote:

> 1. When someone subscribes, it would be good for them to get an
> autoreply, if only to remind them that message traffic should go to
> PoqetPC, not PoqetPC-Requests. Also, I think everyone should be
> encouraged to send out a howdy message with a brief self-introduction,
> just so we can get message traffic in gear right away. Maybe the
> auto-reply can ask three questions: what kind of PoqetPC do you have?
> how long have you had it? what are your primary uses?

I like those ideas.  When you subscribed, you should've gotten some
kind of confirmation message, yes?  Right now, the confirmation just
says:

	The Poqet PC Mailing List is intended to facilitate communication
	between users of the Poqet PC.  For more information, please see
	the Poqet PC Web Site at <http://www.best.com/~PoqetPC/>.

which is the same message you get if you send the "info" command to
PoqetPC-Request.  However, I could change it so it makes more sense as
a subscription confirmation and less sense as a response to an "info"
command.  Let me know what you think about that.  My guess is that most
people will get information from the web site, and not by sending an
"info" command.

> 2. Are you going to put a link to the mailing-list file on the main
> PoqetPC page?

Yup.  Just haven't done it yet 'cause we're still in beta test.  I
figure most of the subscriptions will come from the Web Site.

> 3. I am the "owner" (moderator) of a couple of mailing lists, one
> which runs off Pegasus and another a majordomo system under UNIX, and
> I'm wondering how to use some of the commands on this system (which
> I'm presuming is called BESTSERV).

BestServ is the name of the program we're running.  It was
custom-written by one of the engineers that runs Best, my ISP.  (Best
also runs a custom web server, written by the same guy).

The only subscriber commands that I know of are the ones that are
listed on the Web page: "subscribe", "subsingle", "unsubscribe",
"help", "info" and "alias".  I'm not hiding anything.

> Is there a command to find out who else is on the list?

Nope.  That's by design, I'm told.  It might be a configurable option
in the future, but for now, there's no way for a subscriber to get the
entire list of users.  If the subscribers want it, I could post a list
of members every month or so.

> To get an archive of last month's traffic?

Not that I know of.  However, I'm saving the daily digests, and I will
probably archive them on the Web site at some point (probably on a
monthly basis).

> As you say, the info message one gets from BESTSERV by email is
> considerably less friendly than the web page.

Yeah.  That's why I put all of the stuff on the web site.  Looks like
the engineer who wrote BestServ can write code, but not documentation.

~~~~
Bryan Mason - Menlo Park, California, USA, Earth
e-mail:                <bmason@xxxxxxxx>
Poqet PC Home Page:    <http://www.best.com/~bmason/PoqetPC/>

From: Bob Withers <bwit@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 09:40:15 -0500

Hi all,

I just joined the list and would like to introduce myself.  My name is =
Bob Withers and I have been using a Poqet Classic for about a year now.  =
I love the DOS compatibility of the Poqet and often use it for =
development of C programs while traveling.  I like the machine so much =
that I purchased a second one as a backup.  I often worry about that =
little ribbon cable that connects the screen to the keyboard but have =
not had any problems thusfar.  Looking forward to some spirited =
conversations regarding this palmtop computing marvel.

Best regards,
Bob

Date Created: 30 Nov 1996, Last Modified: 13 May 2009